1970 westy roof canvas - which brand?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushoarder

Reaction score
Afternoon!

I’m in a quandary, there are several pop top canvas suppliers, I’m sure some are using the same sources...

Which is the better fitting / correct window sizes etc? I don’t mind spending on the right one.

Seen
Wolfsburg west
Custom and commercial
Just kampers
VW heritage

Anyone have fitted them with feedback?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines a Wolfsburg West canvas, though it came from CIP1. I thought most of them were WW canvases?

Mines been great, the bright orange has faded despite me treating it when new, but its in good condition and remains weather tight. Reccomended.

We only ever fitted WW ones supplied through Schofield's, best quality out there ( we refused to fit cheaper ones), dont be fooled into buying a 'cheaper one' as you'll regret it when you come to fit it, best to remove the roof to fit it as really hard to get the canvas fitted correctly to the roof otherwise as it folded over so you don't see the fixings

Afternoon!

I’m in a quandary, there are several pop top canvas suppliers, I’m sure some are using the same sources...

Which is the better fitting / correct window sizes etc? I don’t mind spending on the right one.

Seen
Wolfsburg west
Custom and commercial
Just kampers
VW heritage

Anyone have fitted them with feedback?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might also be worth checking out Campervan Culture. They are based I think in West Sussex, they supply and can also fit if required, their own "good quality" Westy canvas tops, in beige or ornage (I think?). Just a thought and maybe worth taking a look.
https://campervanculture.com/

I fitted a new one from NLA. I have a 71 Westy which had the original canvas on. The new one was a perfect fit , and as good a quality as the original with 3 windows , all zipped with nets and the rear one with the opening panel. I took the roof off to make it easier and lined the fibreglass with stretchy carpety stuff. Really pleased. Don’t forget to order the plastic trim as your old stuff will be brittle and not fit to re-use.
Ps they do a cheaper one but I went with the higher grade one.

I noticed the frame of my top - 77 bus - was rubbing against the canvas when I put it up. It was also in contact and pushing against it when up. As a precaution I got two iron on patches, normally for kids jeans, and reinforced the canvas with an added layer. They are easy to put on with some heat and pressue. A dollar store or fabric outlet will have them. Was even able to get a pretty good colour match.
3 years and still doing a good job

I noticed the frame of my top - 77 bus - was rubbing against the canvas when I put it up. It was also in contact and pushing against it when up. As a precaution I got two iron on patches, normally for kids jeans, and reinforced the canvas with an added layer. They are easy to put on with some heat and pressue. A dollar store or fabric outlet will have them. Was even able to get a pretty good colour match.
3 years and still doing a good job
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,what a great idea. :)

Latest posts