1971 2017cc highroof camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfbum

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have had busses on and off for 15 years. My last one I got hold of last cristmas. It had been used by divers in the fire department in the beginning. Then in was built as a camper. After that the next owner got busy painting it like a hippiebus. Then the owner before me welded whats needed to be done,then got tired of it.

Since we now have two kids the 1970 got to small for the family, and it was a bit rusty( a lot...) so the 70 bus was sold and the 71 was put in the garage. It was empty and had no engine.

I did some welding myself. Changed the inner floor etc. Then the painter got busy. The bus is now back in the garage to be put together again. The interior was taken from a T3 1987 and remade to fit baywindow. I built a 90,5* 78,2 engine with modifyed 044 and weber IDF 44...

Here is some photos, and if you want to check the full story (sorry, i,m from Sweden so the build thread at Boxerville is in swedish and here I probably made some spelling mistakes :) )so check out this link:
http://boxerville.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll post some new photos here now and then...

Cheers...
//Daniel Thelin - Göteborg - Sweden

Welcome, i'm loving you high top. Just looked through your Boxerville thread.

Loving it!!!!!

I am not a big fan of high tops, they remind me too much of ice cream vans and they act like a huge sail on the motorway. But this I like. Hmmm...a 99 please :lol:

Getting rid of those hand painted flowers has given your bus a whole new lease of life ... looks fab :D

Hi again.
Have been working with the bus every chance I've been given, and it's finally ready to drive. So, i'll post some more pictures from the garage and and a vid first time driving it. It remains to tune the engine with the AFR, that currently shows 11.. :? took it for a drive anyway. By the way, the tires are Fedima Extreme Evolution 205/70 15 on Mercedes 7" steels ET 37 and it fits nicely and doesnt touch anywhere turning the steeringwheel. And the height is still stock. The tires are not loud driving, concidering the pattern... :D
I windsurf a lot, and got tired of hitting all of the rocks on the road with my old lowered bus going down to the surfspot, so I "offroaded" it a little. The bus still goes original with the original wheel setup for original meetings :)

A lot of electric work remains to be done, and some interior.
Want to check out more, here it is:
http://boxerville.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube]HRCn4lMfEek[/youtube]
[youtube]Ix85hb-Oja0[/youtube]
[youtube]fdqoawhrxtY[/youtube]

The engine pulls real nice concidering the tire size and weight of the interior.
Drive safely.

//Daniel Thelin

Absolutely awesome, can I ask what the item is on top right of engine bay with the gauge fitted I'm assuming a fuel pump. Lovely bus though....

Bay-low71 said:
Absolutely awesome, can I ask what the item is on top right of engine bay with the gauge fitted I'm assuming a fuel pump. Lovely bus though....

It's a fuelpressure regulator, the pump is a Facet redtop hided next to the gearbox hooked with a hidden switch as a antitheftgadget

Thanks for your comments! I'll post some more pictures soon.

//Daniel

Looks great. Super bus. Do like a High Top 8) . Dad had a 75 ex London Gown Van used for leather coats. Had a tape measure round the side . Found in a Lock up in London, after the owner did a flit and left it. Found several two two bullets inside too :lol:

Hi

The AFR gauge on the dash is very cool, I presume you run a lambda prob in the bung in the exhaust, does that just wire straifght back to the gauge or via some data logger?

Loving the go anywhere stance and tyres, proper cool!

Latest posts