1971 bay window - welding needed!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocstar

Reaction score
hi everyone - i recently bought myself a 1971 bay window project - basically it need ALOT of welding - outriggers - jacking points - inner and outer sills and a few panels and some work to the chassis. as i am an electrician and have never welded in my life i have decided to give my van to a professional but im unsure of wat sort of price range to expect - any help or info would be much appreciated - i will try and post pics when i get a chance. :? :? :?

Hiya bud,,, that sounds like a lot of work !! I don`t think you`ll get much change out of a new mortgage. But hey it needs to be done. Just sign the cheque and don`t ask how much, it`ll only give you sleepless nights :shock: :shock:
I don`t want to know what I`ve spent on mine so far and it`s still not on the road or even close. !! But welcome anyway to the land of rusty busses and empty walletts :lol: :roll: :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Ever hopefull 8) :? 8)

when i 1st bought mine i took it to a few places and welding alone replacing everything that needed it, i was quoted a grand a 3rd (front to front of slider, middle section, rear of slider to back)

I bought all the panels i needed for about 1100, and have borrowed my mates welder having not welded in 15 years or so and have tackled it myself. Took 10 months so far, but i have got to know my van intimately.

Give it a go if your in no major rush :D

rocstar said:
hi everyone - i recently bought myself a 1971 bay window project - basically it need ALOT of welding - outriggers - jacking points - inner and outer sills and a few panels and some work to the chassis. as i am an electrician and have never welded in my life i have decided to give my van to a professional but im unsure of wat sort of price range to expect - any help or info would be much appreciated - i will try and post pics when i get a chance. :? :? :?

where are you? folks on here may be able to recommend bodyshops to you.

DSCN0649.jpg
DSCN0674.jpg
DSCN0706.jpg
DSCN0708.jpg
DSCN0711.jpg
DSCN0710.jpg
DSCN0652.jpg
DSCN0683.jpg
DSCN0651.jpg

hi all - i have finally worked out how to get pictures on here - what u think??!!

What a bus !! It looks almost like brand spanking new. Also extremely cool looking. That`s not rust by the way, it`s just the newness wearing off ! :lol: But I got to say,, " I like it, I like it a lot ". I bet you`re chuffed to bits with that baby. Now what do you call it / him / her. Looks like a Roxanne to me !! 8)

Ozziedog,,,, Just got back from the pub (You`d never have guessed ) 8) :lol: :? :lol:

Nice bus Dude. I agree with Ozzie, it seems to be superficial surface rust to me (see my '71 swiss resto thread and you'll see what I mean!) :msn4:
Seriously though, the floor looks solid enough and all that custy stuff underneath is industry standard and will be sorted by a good welder. Retro Custom in Baldock are a very good firm, the boss Larry is a perfectionist and VW nut. They're not far from you and he should be able to give you a ball park figure. :D

thanks guys - its defo a cool bus - fell in love with it when i seen it - haven't christened it yet with a name ( idea's welcome) - i knew it was gonna need some work but felt sorry for it sitting there in the long grass which has obviosly ruined its underneath! i tapped the heater tube today right under the middle of the van and it fell to pieces onto the ground completely rusted! i hope thats not too big a job to sort out!! expense is adding up but its got to be worth it when i see it finished!! hoping to go to vanfest tomoro for some idea's - i have checked out retro custom in baldock and im very impressed - going to phone him on monday. :D :D

Be interested to see if you find anyone locally to do your welding who understands and likes old buses - I'm north Cambridgeshire / Norfolk and I can't find anyone :?

Welcome to bus ownership - and not just any bus - a RHD! 8)

Chip away at the welding - it should be worthet :msn4:

Hiya Rocstar !!
I reckon we should keep this thread going till we got a name you like. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
My bus is called Sherbie caus he`s a bit of a lemon and it sounds a bit like his brother Herbie the love bug, So he`s Sherbie the love bus. 8) 8) 8) My van in the lane is called Madonna (my donor)
I reckon yours looks like a Roxanne, Roxy maybe, or perhaps Rumplestiltskin Rumpled for short, anybody else got any ideas ????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, Still thinking

Hey Rocstar, that could be good, but that phrase " The Devil Made Me Do It " used to be a catch phrase for an American TV comedian (no not transvestite) in the late 60`s and early 70`s and his name was FLIP , from memory I think it was Flip Wilson and that was his excuse for everything he did wrong and anything that went wrong, and every time he got caught getting up to no good, which was all the time.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, mine of absolutely useless information.

Latest posts