• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 DeLuxe Sunroof bus , NOW SOLD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decapman

Reaction score
This always was my ultimate bus
After a 21 window and a 23 window splitty I went through several westy campers before I alighted on the perfect choice for me.
The 1971 DeLuxe has the best (in my opinion) combination of early features and reliable servo assisted braking.
I searched a long time for a straight, rust free original paint bus and this one came via the Salvation Army depot in Oakland California.

At the same time I ordered a 1914 high torque engine from John at Powerhaus in Torrence California and a freeway flyer gearbox,reputed 110 hp and 89 horses at the back wheels.
Mahle pistons, twin 44 webbers full flow oil cooler, Empi this, Scat that, blah di blah di blah, anyway a serious bit of kit.

This bus will charge up hills even towing a caravan and has a surprising turn of speed.
The engine sounds simply awesome with a deep throated roar, but due to the sound proofing you can still have a normal conversation at 75mph.
The bus was shipped to the UK and fitted with a whole new TMI interior seat and headlining set. £00s spent on trim, then the damplifyer Pro soundproofing which I installed with the help of my 13 year old daughter (ace mechanic and chatterbox)
I went for a slight lowered look using a Red 9 lowering kit and the ride aint bad, also fitted anti roll bars front and rear so she corners like a Go Kart.

Because my kids are even more important to me than the bus she has had Quickfit inertia safety belts fitted front rear and middle. The middle rear and the second middle seat are lap belts but there are 5 inertia belts in total.
Also I have a set of brand new tyres on blasted and painted wheels.

Also available by negotiation are a set of snow tyres on their own wheels and an original Westy tent if you really insist on camping.
The Creative westy roof rack is or isnt included depending on whether I have sold it before hand or not (£200).

A small rust repair was needed below the windscreen , handled by cutting out and welding in a NOS panel, the front panel is not original paint.
The rest of the bus is all original paint, some dents and dings but really really straight as you can see. I had the bumpers and the wheels blasted and re painted so they set the whole look off really well.No welding done or needed anywhere on the chassis or the jacking points or anywhere, it is really rock solid under there.

The sunroof works (yes really), that was a bitch. Finally located some new cables and with a bit of fiddling (er about 4 days worth in fact) my mate got the various components (some sourced from a beetle) to behave enough that the roof works well.

We fitted all new seals all round.Lots of other little detail things done but essentialy this is a bus that looks like it wont frighten your Granny but packs a punch, is a reliable and swift, comfortable long distance cruiser and great to haul the kids and their mates round to their various social engagements.

I have to sell now, too many other projects and my trophy wife would like a new kitchen.
We dont use this as much as we should, so if you are the sort that wants something you can step right into and use then this is the one.MOT and Tax (well its free but you need a Guinness lable) till next year.

I have put some serious cash into this project and the asking price is well under (a long way) what I have invested.
Some VW mates who know about these things have suggested that I should ask £15K. I figure it is a buyers market and would like a swift sale so £12995.
If you dont want the engine because it scares you I am sure we can do a deal.
Anyway
pictures speak a thousand words so here goes:

Deluxebus014-1.jpg

Deluxebus013.jpg

Deluxebus024.jpg

Deluxebus017-2.jpg

Deluxebus018.jpg

Deluxebus013.jpg

Deluxebus019.jpg

Deluxebus026.jpg

Deluxebus028.jpg

Deluxebus009.jpg