• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Earlybay pop top for sale/swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
A real shame to be doing this, but putting my rhd earlybay up....
We travelled from Cornwall to Chester to pick up Brian. He is a 1971 pop top conversion. Got him with the intention of a long term project. Came without engine/gearbox, but was particularly after one with a solid belly...
Spec as is now:
Pop top is virtually unused. Bellows are really good. I've only raised it once, just to look.
Front beam was rotten, so I got a solid one from the forum. Comes lowered via csp adjusters, using kyb shocks.
Rear has adjustable shocks. Not sure of spec, as was already fitted. Sits nicely though.
Empi trigger gear shift. Replaced the link bush, so not sloppy.
Empi 5 spoke alloys. Runs 165/50r15's on the front, so has a nice nose stance.
Standard 1600tp & box sourced. Spent ages setting it up, & runs beautifully. Starts first time. Empi quiet pack exhaust.
New rear brake cylinders, as part of the last mot. Front are discs. Non servo, but work fine.
3/4 rock & roll bed, with storage cabinets. Two belts at the rear. Seats three up front. (Bench seat)
I spent ages looking for a rev counter, & fitted one that looks like it belongs there.

Bodywork.....

Unlike most bays, the bottom 10" is solid. Needs tlc though. Main issue is the gutters, which have been roughly patched (not by me..!). Rear corners are poor. Front o/s arch needs doing. Doors need the bottom doing.

Saying that though, it is mot'd till sept, & taxed till end may (free though). Had to get some welding done to the driver's b post for the last mot. Never got round to painting over it. No reason why the next mot should be a problem...

So what we have is a fully useable van as is, or a good base for restoration. That was always my intention, but my mrs used to have a squareback variant, and the brownie points would be off the scale if I can find one to surprise her with... ;-)
I've been as critical as I can. Maybe the work isn't such a big deal..
As I said, I'm after a good squareback, or asking around £4850.
I'm down in Cornwall, not far over the water from Plymouth.

Steve. 07590 605509
01752 823017

I do shift work, so please dont be offended by voicemail..! I will get back to you soon as.

Hope the pics load.... :)

5219e155-7a84-e024.jpg
5219e155-7a95-1458.jpg
5219e155-7aa5-fa7a.jpg
5219e155-7ab3-b7ba.jpg
5219e155-7ac1-a37e.jpg
5219e155-7acf-419b.jpg
5219e155-7ae0-0471.jpg
5219e155-7af0-3ea8.jpg
5219e155-7b00-ccf1.jpg

just spotted this on ebay, lost my bus recently in a fire at my mates yard and will need to get back on the horse quick

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got the battle with assessors to come over the value of my bus at the time, but will be checking this post for updates

I'm in no rush to sell. Purely doing it to get a squareback, so won't be hurrying unless a suitable one comes along... ;-)

It is, yes. On eBay at the mo. Can't give you the item number off hand, but is under bluelighttaxidriver. Got 105 watchers, & four offers. First hard deposit secures, as have a squareback on the horizon... ;-)

Well... After a real eye opening experience at the weekend from an eBay numpty, (no it doesn't have a fully stamped service history), have realised that I actually can't bear to part with my van. Bought him with the plan of seeing it through to completion, & that's what I will do. Will enjoy using him this summer, then the fun of a crash course in welding will start.... :) My name is Steve, and I'm an earlybay addict...!!

Glad youre keeping it. Locked again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts