1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, bit of a while since i've updated you guys. the bus had been at Bromsgrove Autotrim for the last couple of weeks. I had the phonecall last week to tell me that they have finished with the bus so I can collect. I'm off up there to collect on friday morning to transport to the furniture company. Because I couldnt wait a whole week to find out what the bus looks like i persuaded Angela to send me through some pics. although they are not the best resolution you can get an idea of the quality of the finish.

i absolutely love how the door cards have come out and cant wait to see whe whole bus
doorcard.jpg

the black carpets will also be covering the wheel arches when the seats are fitted. the black carpet really picks up on the black wheels, bumpers and dash.
doorcardkickcarpet.jpg

full headlining with 6 LED down lights. thinking of fitting some more subtle LED lighting to underside of bed and underside of the main side unit worktop
headlining.jpg

Tombstone seats have been upholstered and i have changed to stitch orientation of the seat base and seat back from horizontal to vertical. this is so the stitching matches the rear seat when its done
seatdoorcard.jpg

i will update this with more/better quality pics when i go and see the bus on friday.

cant wait!!!!

WOW - those door cards look well nice 8)

Loving the rest of the trim also - know wonder you can't wait :mrgreen:

chers guys. i wanted something slightly different from the norm and saw a similar door card on a hotrod. its surprisingly hard to come up with a design when you are not working with a square doorcard - as is the case with most old cars.

only two more sleeps :)

ye Pete said that he enjoyed doing something slightly away from the normal with the design work.

Pete and Angela are both so genuine people. the reason for me choosing them was because i made an appointment on a sat morning way back when. i arrived and Pete was working on someones bus. I had a fair bit ofcustom stuff in mind so brought along my laptop and a load of pics/photos. Pete spent two hours with me and the g/f running through the art of the possible. he even set up the machine to run off a few design there and then for me to give me an idea of how a cream stich can look aginast a darker colour.

When we had finally got around to leaving, as soon as Liz and I got in the car and I shut the door, Liz looked at me and said...I like him, we've got to go to him.

well i transported the bus successfully from bromsgrove to padstow yesterday. i arrived at upholsterers an hr earlier than the transporter was arriving so i could have a good little look around the bus. what a job!!!!!

i took camera up but the battery was pretty much dead so havent got too many pics for you guys.

p1020008.jpg

p1020009gv.jpg

i like the little detailing that i didnt ask for:)
p1020010kn.jpg

leather trimmed padded top
p1020011c.jpg

Kustom Interior will be having my for about a month then i should have the bus finished

Looking good :D

PM'd you those dimensions btw.

ps. I assume you will not be using the dormy cooker behind the seat because theres no way the passenger seat will raise - the headrest part will hit the roof - its why I had to use seats with removable headrests on mine :lol:

Thanks bud, ye I got the measurements cheers. No, no cokker behind the seat. Swapped the sink for a smev cooker. Got rid of coolbox and having fridge fitted. Going to have a spare cooker for outside. I'm making full width dormobile bed like u have but swapped the rail on the seat back for some custom hinges so they are nice and beefy and bed won't twist

Haveacamper said:
Swapped the sink for a smev cooker. Got rid of coolbox and having fridge fitted. Going to have a spare cooker for outside. I'm making full width dormobile bed like u have but swapped the rail on the seat back for some custom hinges so they are nice and beefy and bed won't twist

That sounds interesting - looking forward to seeing this :)

Trikky2 said:
Haveacamper said:
Swapped the sink for a smev cooker. Got rid of coolbox and having fridge fitted. Going to have a spare cooker for outside. I'm making full width dormobile bed like u have but swapped the rail on the seat back for some custom hinges so they are nice and beefy and bed won't twist

That sounds interesting - looking forward to seeing this :)

Me too 8)

I am loving your efforts Haveacamper - You seem to be thinking alot about every detail which really shows though - Lovely work 8)

Can't wait to see it in the flesh - what's your time line ?

cheers mate. I dare say there are still A LOT of details i've forgotten about.

as for timings i'm hoping to get the bus back from the furniture place on weekend 19th, but i am awaiting confirmation of that.

not sure it will be finished by christmas as had hoped cos i'm away in december, and i've still got a few things to do in and around the engine bay before fitting the engine so i will have to wait and see. also i have a few wiring thigns to sort out, fit the front seats etc etc

Nice work though you didn't show us the rear seat in the bed position - take it it rests on the table as normal but sits flush with the side cabinet??

Haveacamper said:
anyone know whether the location of the draw will interfere with the table rail if i fit one???? just thought :s

That depends on how high your table (and hence the bed) will be on your version.

The stock dormobile rail height is 625mm measured from the floor to the centre of the rail.

08.jpg

i therefore have a problem. looking at my drawer it will interfere with mounting the rail. not sure if i could shorten/offset the bits that fit onto the table to reduce the distance of the rail. it woul dmean that the table still moved forward and back the same distance, and the table would go in front of the drawer, but only when pushed forward.

i'm thinking that it may need to be remade though :( not sure who's fault that is. he has pics of a dormobile interior, but didnt have the rail.mmm

Latest posts