1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, so i picked up some more bits of trim from the painters this afternoon and got some time this evening to fit them:

deluxe grill trim:
p1010940fk.jpg

headlights:
p1010941y.jpg

p1010945fu.jpg

handles:
p1010944l.jpg

started to assemble doors too, but missing a few bits to fully reassemble

NaFe

very nice work , i like the black detailing .......nice to be different ;)

spotted the porsche fan in the back whats going in the back ? :msn4:

keep on going not far to go :D

chris

Top work 8)

I'd join the metal brackets you have made to hold the drive unit in the door panel hole together otherwise they will suck some of the engery out of the sound (need to be as solid as posible).

the engine is a 911 3L

andy: as in join the top and bottom half of my speaker brackets together?

the plan is that when i get some time to create a dome on the back to enclose it all. probably out of fibreglass? would this be ok you think? its just so i have things ready for the doorcards to be made by upholsterers

NaFe

Better to just protect the back of the speaker from moisture. A rigid cover will restrict the speaker cones movement, due to trapped air and this will reduce base note response. The lower frequencies will work better if the whole door cavity is used as a sound box rather than just a small area directly behind the speaker.

Haveacamper said:
andy: as in join the top and bottom half of my speaker brackets together?

NaFe

Yes, but the Glassfibre dome should do the trick.
Like Trikky says though you don't want it to small as it will reduce the bass - can be fooled though into thinking it is bigger by putting lambs wool or other such fiberous material in the dome!!

The problem with not using something behin the speaker is that the door is very open (not sealed) and also the panel behind does flex - again robbing the cone of some impact so I think the dome should help.

Hope that helps you :D

The old pro kits used to supply a partial plastic dome that covered the top half only. They worked on the principal that it doesent rain upwards.

I used a polythene flap attached to the door along with the mandatory plastic membrane between the door card and the door. About 5 years ago I replaced the 1970's Harry Moss speakers that were fitted in the same location as yours and they were still working perfectly with their old fashioned black cardboard speaker cones. The reason I replaced them was only because speaker technology has moved on over the last 35 years :lol:

more black detailing last night:
p1010948z.jpg

the bumper is assembled and fitted. i didnt realise there were one or two drilled holes in the bumper otherwise i would have had them welded up. Also, thats not a neon light underneath its the inspection light :) :
p1010949c.jpg

also, i went and had the scrapers painted black too...full on german look here we come lol:
p1010950w.jpg

need to get the quarter lights painted and wing mirrors painted too! bought some nre mirrors (only the cheapest ones) so will get them painted.

Lovin this Black detailing..... should really set it aside from the crowd!
.......Wish I'd thought of it!

Nice work, really coming together now ;)

had the idea for quite a while. well, pretty much since i saw the Disciple beetle that was in volksworld and then on show in Volksworld show.

Loxy has helped to push me and go all the way with the detailing. wasnt originally going to go for the scrapers and quarter lights, but think it will really go that bit further than just black roof, bumper and wheels

Those headlights with the black rims against the blue paint look Amazing!! I Dig the theme your carrying through 8)

I echo what they said^. It was well worth the effort of going the whole way with the black detailing, it looks fab. 8)

sorry for the late response guys, i've been offline for a week or so as i've had a bone marrow donation. had a letter about 3months ago sayign that i could me a match to someone who needed bone marrow. turned out that i was the best worldwide match for a 8yr old boy in Poland.

anyway, the lenses are smoked mark I golf headlights off ebay, and the rims are late bay one (the ones with one hole). late bays and LHD buses have tabs on the inside of the front panel bowl to fix the headlights to.

some people make a couple of tabs to weld onto the inside bowl, but for you guys who have new paint probably isnt an option. i suppose you could possible pop rivot some self-made tabs on?

Well done you, I've heard that bone marrow donation can be a very painfull proceedure so that's a very noble and worthwhile thing to have done. Hope your recovery is swift one.

As for the advice re the headlights.... Thanks!

Dan

Hi,

Great work, I love reading up on this project and seeing how your doing.

I've recently bought myself something very similar to the silent coat you've used and am trying to figure the best way to attach it. What did you use as adhesive for this??

Cheers
Rich

Love the way you mention the marrow donation then get straight into the description of the lights etc - well done mate on doing what you did and still loving the work on the bus :D

Latest posts