2k paint how many ltrs, to paint a bay from top to bottom&

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boody2008

Reaction score
[photobucket]
02b78e11-07fc-4ea5-8f8c-010ea0323d1e_zps63f5c3c7.jpg
[/photobucket][/url]]hi every one
can any one help, as i need to know how many litres ,
of 2pack paint to spray an early bay, from top to bottom, inside and out?
i/e
how much high build primer
how much basecoat.
and lacquer,
and would i need to etch prime it first, as this will be bare metal shell.
or would the etch react with the 2pack paint.

any advice would be very help full
thx boody

You'll need approx

1l of acid etch with activator (either 1:1, or 2:1 mix)
4l high build (normally 4:1 mix ratio)
4l base coat (this is mixed 1:1 with thinners)
7l clear coat (2:1 mix ratio)
10l thinners
5l hardner
1l panel wipe

you'll also need, tack cloths, tape, masking paper/plastic, and blue cloth.

The etch is 2k, so no need to worry about it reacting :beerchug:

Paul Weeding said:
You'll need approx

1l of acid etch with activator (either 1:1, or 2:1 mix)
4l high build (normally 4:1 mix ratio)
4l base coat (this is mixed 1:1 with thinners)
7l clear coat (2:1 mix ratio)
10l thinners
5l hardner
1l panel wipe

you'll also need, tack cloths, tape, masking paper/plastic, and blue cloth.

The etch is 2k, so no need to worry about it reacting :beerchug:

If your not using a pearl or mettalic basecoat then save your money as theres no need for laquer
And laquer makes any touch up work in the future more difficult

Pauls painting my bus soon and ive asked him for no laquer but a decent coat of base
This is because im going to get a porter cable random orbit polisher from the states and go through varying grades of cutting compound to give very flat and very shiny paint that would be easy to blend in in the future if the need arises

If you are using a mettalic or pearl base then lay the laquer wet on wet as it gives a better adhesion and saves a lot of flatting

If you are using 2 pack paint you do not need laquer (unless you are spraying pearl or metal flake)

You only need acid etch if you go back to bare metal.

If you are planning on using 2 pack for the top coat, you need to use 2 pack undercoat, there is a possibility of reaction

I don't know where the quoted figures are from, but when mixing 2 pack the normal ratio is 2:1 paint and hardener, then 10 to 20% thinners.

You do need additional thinners for cleaning spray gun etc, but 10l is a tad excessive

to be fair none of these answers will help you there are many different types of 2k paint and different mixtures and techniques for each one, every different paint has different covering properties etc etc there is no quick answer for painting queries that is why people earn a living from it. All i can advise is take advice from the paint shop and get the tech sheets for every product you intend to use and follow it to the letter they are the result of expensive testing by the paint manufacturer. And always use the correct hardener for the paint being used, standard hardener does not cover all products to a desirable effectiveness. Etch primer products should be chosen very carefully mipa wash etch is a good one but steer clear of upoxy super etch its adhesion properties are hit and miss at best. how much you will need will depend on a mixture of various factors . And you DO need laquer with basecoat even if it is matt laquer. and you need different thinners for spraying 2k and cleaning gun, unless you like burning money

hi guys
and thank you all, very much for all your input.
hoping to spray it later this year,
just trying to stay ahead.
thx again
appy dubin ;)

Latest posts