5 Point Harness in Van WITHOUT Cage?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting to put a dampner on things, but I was looking at harnesses (admittedly in the rear) and found 2 main problems if you haven't got a cage.

1. the shoulder belts should come off the back of the rear seat at no more of an angle than 20 degrees from horizontal (otherwise you run the risk of spinal compression in a crash)
2. If you roll the van and the roof comes in on you you will be stuck (and squashed) in the seat - with a normal three point belt you would most likely slip to one side.

A possible idea to overcome both of these was to mount the shoulder belts in the roof (in the sunroof void) but the misses wasn't having any of it :)

Just want to make sure you're aware of the issues.

Precisely the sort of input I'm after. Thanks.

I'm drag racing the van again this year and am struggling to think of a solution that is better than the 37-year-old belts that are in there now.

A 3 point harness would be better but is not up to spec. If I change to a harness at all, it has to be 5 point.

Latest posts