68 Bay rear brake backing plates....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrockez

Reaction score
Yes yes, I know - like hen's teeth! But they need replacing on our Split (68 IRS... sorry!)....

I don't suppose anyone knows a way of making later ones fit? We can weld, so that's not a problem. Can you cut the early ones up and weld them into later ones?

Or can you fit later ones with later cylinder and brake shoes and still fit the 68 hub?

Ta

Ok, upon closer inspection it looks like it's just one side and only the bit where the handbrake cable which comes out is rusty, so we are able to repair it.

Just one thing though - how do we get the backing plate off? I've heard there's a pin, but we can't find it :oops:

If its the pin I am thinking of its just a locator pin at the back of the backing plate, The backing plate is held in by the bolts that hold on the brake cylinder and star adjuster holder undoe these and it should just come off (in theory!). I have a backing plate for a 68 in very good condition if you still wanted one. I got two for my 1970 van but one wouldn't fit and I was told that its a 68 - 69 model

Latest posts