68 Canterbury Pitt Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the doc

Reaction score
Hi just a pic of bluey, our 68 bay with Canterbury Pitt interior. She's not perfect but we would not be without her.

VW062.jpg
[/img]

That's a beauty...was that an optional extra in 1968? The brush attached to the front A pillar I mean :lol:

TattonPark2006019.jpg
[/img]

Another piccy at Tetton park vw northwest. Brush was a one year only extra, should have kept quiet about it now everyone will want one!

Its great to have a Bay Canterbury Pitt on here - I was hoping to track one down, there's not many around (according to David Eccles) ...

Thanks mate
They are a bit rare, in fact I only know of one other, and I don't know where it lives. Anyway it does'nt matter what interior you have they are all great.

Quality bus mate, loving the early brush feature :wink:

Welcome to the best site ever!!! 8)

van looks the dogs mate!!!! is it OG paint??

Will definatly meet up at a show. mine never came with a louver window? is that part of the conversion???

Super van mate

Woody

I don't know if the louvre window is original. As for the paint, neptune blue is the original colour but I think its been touched up at some time.

I'd never heard of a canterbury bay - Until now, nice bus.

Do you have any pictures of the interior?

Hi
It seems Canterbury Pitt bays are as rare as rocking horse poo. I do know of one other that is still intact. Canterbury Pitt were popular in the splitty you see quite a few at the shows. When vw started producing the bay Mr Pitt designed a new camping interior to fit, unfortunately Mr Pitt seems to have died in 1969 I think, and production was stopped. I do have the original sales brochure produced in 1968.
As for interior photos I don't have many as yet much to the disgust of my better half who made the covers for the seats. As soon as I take some I will post them.

All i've got left of my interior are the top panels of the rear seat. ohh and the table which i in very good condition, however the rest was fooked when i got it. do still have the Canterbury Pitt plaque...somewhere.

hi mate ,hows it going ,im glad you are still enjoying the bus,the louver window was not a standard fittment i put that in kids wanted fresh air,have you done much to it ?its still looking good 8) spotted you at alltypes but you were leaving the site...done many miles/shows..hows your mate getting on with his splitty has he finished it?i finished my splitty in june,i get more attention in the splitty than the bay,but the bay was more comfy to drive... have you sorted the roof canvas??done anything with the inside? any pics? keep in touch....eryl

Hi Eryl
We have had a great time in the bus. We did bustypes, alltypes, Uttoxeter, BVF, Tatton Park, Matlock and Vanfest. Also went camping on the Welsh coast. With the help of my dad and friends we have refurbished the interior, but keeping it true to Canterbury Pitt were ever possible. I will take some more photos of the inside and post on here. The bus has not missed a beat all season and is currently enjoying a good winter rest all tucked up warm and dry at my dads place. We have not attempted to replace the canvas in the pop top as yet, we did get a quote but they wanted £850 to put in a new canvas (they were having a laugh) perhaps it will get done next year. Engine has to come out this winter as we have a small fuel leak somewhere, we have bought another fuel tank just in case. This will give us chance to clean up the engine bay, but we will not tinker with the engine too much (why mend something when it is not broken) Simon has had a few engine problems in his splitty this summer, hopefully they will all be cured this winter. Glad to hear that your splitty is on the road and look forward to seeing you at a show next year.
regards Ian & June

where did you get your pop top cover??? Mine pops at the back but the cover is looking pretty tatty (think it's the original from 72) - also it goes from right at the front to right at the pack and quite fancy having something a little smaller like yours.

Cheers

Olance

Hi
Its an original canterbury pitt top so I think it would be difficult to find one the same unless you get one off a splitty. A better bet might be one from a danbury conversion as they are very similar in size and appearance.

I'm sellimg my fibre glass poptop, original CanterburyPitt. good condition

interested

Rich

Latest posts