68 Deluxe - Back to full height

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gvee said:
Nahh, don't distress it yet, or at least not to that extent!

Looks awesome as is and the colour is fab. Let it age on its own accord first for a while :)

Agree with gvee entirely.. Don't distress it yet..

The dark red's taken over from the warm wood colours. :(
Not getting a bit dark in there?

Merlydog said:
That's not like you Zed :shock:
Yes it is. :D I mean I want the bloody thing finished so I can forget about nuts and bloody bolts and wood and bloody faking solutions, twin carbs, engines and gear-bloody-box-bloody-es. Then I can go bloody camping all the bloody time instead of bloody farting about! ;)

It's been suggested that running the 5 rib with the wheels off the ground would indeed make it sound like a bag of ye olde nails even though, maybe, it's ok? I'm regretting not at least a once round the car park. The gearbox in at the moment sounds crunchy on deceleration so that's going.

I took the bell housing off the 5 rib for a look. Also it has to end up on the gearbox I choose to go with so two birds with one stone, but now I'm tempted to put it back, re-install and test drive it. It'll be the third swap and if it is indeed crapolla, I'll have to do it a fourth time. All this week - I wanna go camping at the weekend. Bloody, bloody, bloody, bloody gearboxes. PiTA :lol:

:evil: It's boogered. OUt it came (again).
Recap:
Took out early 1600 gearbox and replaced with 1800.
Took out 1800 and replaced with late 1600
Took out late 1600 and replaced with 1800 (again)
Took out 1800, removed bell housing and put on original early 1600 box
Attached to engine
Came home.
:evil:

So, engine and gearbox are sat on a trolley jack waiting patiently for me to fit back into the bus.
I have MRI scan on my knackered neck today, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get it back up and running ready for the weekend, then it's either oop north to Laurie's or White Noise in Naaaarfook. :D

Whitenoise it was and what a great weekend. A music festival for dubs. I'll be going back next year for certain.

That was after refitting the engine and box of course. Nearly done...
DSCF4820.jpg

The next Friday (last friday) I set off up to Laurie's to swap the engines. I camped in a friends garden in N Yorks for the weekend, then up to visit another friend who lives bang on the North end of the Pennine Way on Sunday. I walked the whole thing 30 years ago so I had another day there and retraced the last 5 miles of the walk and back.
DSCF4847.jpg

Next day the last hop up to Eyemouth for swapsies.
I fitted the oil cooler underneath and the filter head in the engine bay when I got there, then took the old engine beetle engine out and nicked the alternator back. After the usual faffing about it was in and running but getting a bit late so a quick run up and down the road and then camped in the Industrial Estate. Laurie wanted to put me up in a hotel, but I preferred the luxury of the bus. 8)
DSCF4848.jpg

And here it is. Next morning a recheck of the tappets after running in the cam showed all was well.
DSCF4849.jpg

I was going to potter back over the rest of the week, but it was so much fun to drive I came home 320 miles in one day. :)
I couldn't be happier with the engine. My bus is nearly complete now, but the tail pipes! My ears were ringing by the time I got home. Loud isn't the word. They do stop people tailgating though - they can't stand the racket. :lol:

With the engine done and the interior as far on as it can get for now, I've been asking myself if I'm nearly there in a year as I hoped.
I sort of am in that some of the jobs might wait and some aren't so much work to really count at all - pottering.
There's a fair bit of welding needs doing under the front seal - right across maybe. :(
The rear side windows leak a bit when it really lashes down. These are the only ones I haven't changed yet. I may resort to squidging winscreen sealant under the seals.
I haven't cavity waxed it yet.
The brakes could do with something. I think I'll start with a servo, which I'd need whatever route I take in the long run.

MOT on Monday - I can't think of anything it could fail on - the brakes aren't that bad and no split boots - so fingers crossed.

Screen out...
DSCF4856.jpg

...dash top off displaying offending rusty bits - it's worse than it looks - lots of pin holes and pretty well through right across...
DSCF4852.jpg

This heap of relays, believe it or not, is required to convert USA wired early bus to make the indicators work only with ignition on and the hazzards work whether Ignition is on or off. ::) The original 9 pin relay has a blown capacitor so I might fix that one day...
DSCF4853.jpg

And lastly the offending screw - the one in the centre of the picture. When I converted to later wiper spindles I was going to swap the entire unit, motor and all, but the wiring was different so thinking the spindles were unlikely to fit on their own, I thought I'd swap the mechanical bits and started to undo the bolts while I was thinking. It began to look a slight PITA so I tried the spindles which fitted fine, but then forgot to tighten this bliddy bolt back up - squeak, squeak, chittery squeak for the last 1,000 miles until I was loosing my mind. Not knowing what I'd done, but knowing it started after the spindle sway so must be wiper related, I'd had a few atempts to work out what was happening via under the dash, but didn't find this one.
DSCF4854.jpg

ZedBed said:
Screen out...
DSCF4856.jpg

...dash top off displaying offending rusty bits - it's worse than it looks - lots of pin holes and pretty well through right across...
DSCF4852.jpg

This heap of relays, believe it or not, is required to convert USA wired early bus to make the indicators work only with ignition on and the hazzards work whether Ignition is on or off. ::) The original 9 pin relay has a blown capacitor so I might fix that one day...
DSCF4853.jpg

And lastly the offending screw - the one in the centre of the picture. When I converted to later wiper spindles I was going to swap the entire unit, motor and all, but the wiring was different so thinking the spindles were unlikely to fit on their own, I thought I'd swap the mechanical bits and started to undo the bolts while I was thinking. It began to look a slight PITA so I tried the spindles which fitted fine, but then forgot to tighten this bliddy bolt back up - squeak, squeak, chittery squeak for the last 1,000 miles until I was loosing my mind. Not knowing what I'd done, but knowing it started after the spindle sway so must be wiper related, I'd had a few atempts to work out what was happening via under the dash, but didn't find this one.
DSCF4854.jpg

All back together now.

dubdubz said:
stirling work - very jealous of the engine - I didn't think Laurie was a fan of the serpentine kits? bet it goes well...
T'was Laurie what made me fit it! Goes ok. 8)

Looking good Zed! The bus and interior are looking so good outside of your workshop and in that sunshine 8)
Glad that you're finally getting to use it

gvee said:
Looking good Zed! The bus and interior are looking so good outside of your workshop and in that sunshine 8)
Glad that you're finally getting to use it
Me too - seems like I hardly use it but just had MOT today and I've covered 3000 miles in the last year somehow or other. :lol:

Latest posts