'68 Riviera panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work Mike , the colour looks good , Nice to see some updates 8)

Niiiice work! You rattle canned it or proper paint? Anyhow looks good.
Did you pull out the dent in the beltline or filled it :roll: ?

Looking good dude 8)
Will you be laquering the top coat to stop the ingress of dirt etc (I didn't do this when I used Rustoleum to spray my poptop and it is now looking a bit dirty........)?

The paint has been sprayed using compressor, will do for now until I have saved some pennies for the pros to take over.
The dent in the bent line was cut, pulled out then welded back up and filled ;)

gninnam I thought Rustoleum was enamel based paint like Hammerite, didn't know it would ingrain dirt etc? this paint is also glossy and not the satin finish.

Cheers for comments.

That's what I thought about Rustoleum, but mine is showing signs of ingrained dirt :(

Hello all just a few more recent pics as it currently stands, new rims thanks to ant (mr whitewalls), lowered, new bugpack exhaust. Drives really nice!
A work in progress, enjoy:
100_1005.jpg

100_1004.jpg

100_1003.jpg

100_1002.jpg

100_1001.jpg

100_1000.jpg

100_0999.jpg

100_0998.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mike.

dubscum said:
mint, reminds me of benders bus, just need to drop the front an inch ir 2 :mrgreen:

Yeah man bender's bus is a great inspiration to me!

I tried to drop it further on the adjuster but ran out of suspension travel and almost needed a back op.
Dropped spindles and tubbed arches is the way forward me thinks.

Cheers for the kind words chaps.

Last weekend I fitted some twin weber 34 ict's and synced them, very easy to install and set-up I highly recommend them.
Fitted them with the engine installed although propably would of been quicker to pull the engine but I havn't done that before.

Before I installed carbs, gave engine a little tune going by advice off here, gapped the plugs, adjusted valve clearances and when it came to check/ set the timing I found a pertronix ignitor and flamethrower coil bonus!! After this the engine was running the best it's ever been, very quite and smooth so at least it gave me a headstart when setting up the carbs.

Few pics of install.
100_1009.jpg

100_1008.jpg

100_1011.jpg

100_1010.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks nice.

Do you have a fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump! If so, the I would remove the filter from the pump to the carbs - if you don't then you should ;)

gninnam said:
Looks nice.

Do you have a fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump! If so, the I would remove the filter from the pump to the carbs - if you don't then you should ;)

Hello Andy,

I don't have a filter between the tank and pump only this one, how would the different set-up affect fuelling/ engine?

Thanks for advice,

Mike.

It's more for safety to be honest - if the filter fails and starts to leak, then the fuel will be on your hot engine, a recipe for a fire - if the filter is after your fuel tank, then the engine will just die but not catch fire!!

Just trying to save you from a possible disaster :mrgreen:

Hello all, just a little update I haven't touched the van in months until recently. I have just repaired the rust on the bottom of the passenger door and added extra drain holes in the plate that has been welded in. I fixed the dents in the door and resprayed it, outer scraper and door seal replaced. The door seal seams too wide though and doesn't allow the door to fit flush!?
100_1127.jpg

100_1129.jpg

Thanks,

mike.

Hello all, just a couple of updates as I'm just started to paint driver's door:
100_1140.jpg

The vans parked up in my grandad's old barn next to his tractor, it's probably older than the van but he still uses it! :lol:

The barns full of old junk, I bet you trinket pimps would love it in there :roll:

Anyways the door is pretty solid and the only dent free panel on the whole van so painting should be easier.

100_1141.jpg

100_1143.jpg

100_1142.jpg

My next show destination should be Alive and Vbubbin.

Mike.

Hello all, I'm still working away on getting the van straighter and painted but progress is slow. I have started the drivers side, the rear arch started off completely bashed in same goes for the corner of the middle side corner, also the us side markers have been welded smooth. The panels were hammered straight then skimmed with filler. The red stuff in the pics is 3m stopper putty (yet to be sanded) to fill small imperfections in the filler but as you can see I applied too much :oops:
Weather permitting I will spray this side tomo:

100_1151.jpg

100_1150.jpg

100_1147-1.jpg

The arch still is not perfect but I have spent far too long on these panels now! It is easier to see imperfections in your work once there is a reflective surface and rustroleum is super cheap!

Right I sprayed this side today while the weather was good, to be honest it didn't go as well as I hope. It needs to be warm for the paint to cure off in a realistic time but it is bad to spray in direct sunlight which is what I did :roll: resulted in a satin finish!
Here's pics:
100_1160-1.jpg

100_1161.jpg

100_1162.jpg

100_1163.jpg

Some paint reacted around the windows (cracked) and some areas of filler will need some more work.
100_1165.jpg

The paint on the cab floor repair section also reacted with the redoxide primer and caused a slight hammered affect.
Think I'm going to wait for the paint to harden off and use the van and enjoy it as it's been off the road far to long.
Thanks for looking,

Mike. P.s. see you at Alive and Vdubbin hopefully in this if I get it back together tomorrow!

You've gotta be careful when painting as it can easily react :(

Looks good in the pictures though 8)

Yeah looks good in the pictures despite the problems you mentioned. Really looks nice and straight and the seams look great too

Latest posts