'68 Riviera panel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the encouragement, really starting to get disheartened with the whole spray it yourself and save money! As I have learnt it won't in the long run. It's just a shame as it's such a dry rust free van and the paint job isn't doing what’s underneath justice.

Enough downers show tomo and a few beers, not in the van tho more work required......

Mike.

Just a small update...
Since spraying the drivers side and getting orange peel, shrunkun paint due to sunlight etc I have wet flatted the entire side with 400 grit wet and dry. The result is pretty good and I will respray asap.
100_1171.jpg

vvv Rear arch could still do with a bit more work to straighten out some ripples but for now I can live with it :s
100_1170.jpg

100_1172.jpg

100_1169.jpg

100_1168.jpg

100_1167.jpg

I could almost get away with saying its a ratter, I like the matt finish and will protect the paint with satin laquer eventually.
100_1166.jpg

The paint on the cab floor reacted and did not harden off, which was down to the redoxide paint so I stripped back and etch primered ready for paint.

The cab door has been resprayed and refitted, got a really good finish on this as I layed the door flat and thinned the paint right down but I might give it a couple more layers of paint as some prep marks can still be seen (paint being thin).
100_1175.jpg

100_1173.jpg

100_1174.jpg

Mike.

Sunday's work:
Weather was great so did some more spraying, paint layed down nicely and hardened off in the sun.
peterbouroughandmike037.jpg

peterbouroughandmike036.jpg

peterbouroughandmike035.jpg

peterbouroughandmike033.jpg

peterbouroughandmike032.jpg

was going to spray the engine lid to but all the screws seem to be seized won't even budge with an impact driver!

Happy Days :D :D

AIR_CHILLED said:
was going to spray the engine lid to but all the screws seem to be seized won't even budge with an impact driver!

Happy Days :D :D

Try some releasing fluid into the section above the hinges from inside the engine bay, where the rear light cable tabs are cut from?

In here :) That's how I got mine to loosen up
0316.jpg

Nick-Rackham said:
Try some releasing fluid into the section above the hinges from inside the engine bay, where the rear light cable tabs are cut from?

In here That's how I got mine to loosen up

Ok thanks Nick-Rackham will give that a go, didn't even think to look up there.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^^No house yet, paycut...

My friend has offered me a beetle to fill the gap, not the same tho.

I have no idea what it's worth ever!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34564

Hello, decided not to sell and propably never will :) Now living in cheltenham although the van is staying in suffolk until the weather improves, feeling really van-less there's loads of little jobs I could be getting on with! So If anyone needs a hand on there van in cheltenham or surrounding area then give me a shout.

I'm still looking for garage/ small workshop to rent/ share, give me a call 07792562375

Found a couple of pics from bug jam 25 with my mate's beetle to show before and after painting the tailgate ect..
Paint looks a slightly different colour but have since flatted and compounded and it's spot on I think! ;)

100_1183.jpg

100_1182.jpg

100_1184.jpg

photo1.jpg

Thanks,

mike.

Good job you are doing Mike. It's nice to see you are having a go at every part of the restoration process yourself, keep up the good work.

cool van ,going to look great when its finished, is rustoleum cellulose based ,i am painting my van soon and rustoleum keeps popping up in posts i look at. :)

Hello mate,
Rustoleum is an enamel oil based paint that can be thinned down using cellulose (white spirits if using roller)
This is my experience using the stuff:
PROS:-
* If like me you don't have the funds to pay for a respray then combi colour costs £35 for 2.5 litres mixed to any VW colour.
* Any areas can be touched in using a brush then colour sanded.
* Rustroleum is a rust inhibiting / retarding paint and gives your van an extra protection that most paints don't offer.

CONS:-
* Body shops will hate you for it, if you decide to get a respray later on then Rustoleum will have to be removed as other paints may not adhere.
* Rustroleum takes an age to cure off so painting in a heated workshop or the summer is a must.
* The paint does not go as hard as say 2K so scratches easily.

Once I have painted the roof and bumpers I would like to experiment with lacquer, therustshop.com sell some interesting stuff called 'diamond finish high gloss clear'

If I was to start over I would of gone for 2K paint instead as it is far more superior though.

Hope this helps.

AIR_CHILLED said:
Hello mate,
Rustoleum is an enamel oil based paint that can be thinned down using cellulose (white spirits if using roller)
This is my experience using the stuff:
PROS:-
* If like me you don't have the funds to pay for a respray then combi colour costs £35 for 2.5 litres mixed to any VW colour.
* Any areas can be touched in using a brush then colour sanded.
* Rustroleum is a rust inhibiting / retarding paint and gives your van an extra protection that most paints don't offer.

CONS:-
* Body shops will hate you for it, if you decide to get a respray later on then Rustoleum will have to be removed as other paints may not adhere.
* Rustroleum takes an age to cure off so painting in a heated workshop or the summer is a must.
* The paint does not go as hard as say 2K so scratches easily.

Once I have painted the roof and bumpers I would like to experiment with lacquer, therustshop.com sell some interesting stuff called 'diamond finish high gloss clear'

If I was to start over I would of gone for 2K paint instead as it is far more superior though.

Hope this helps.
thanks for reply ,i really would love to use 2k but i worried about how toxic it is ,looks like its going to be good old celly lol still least its easy to blow in if i cock it up.

Latest posts