68 US Double Cab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock:

Something about DC's which make them so uber cool 8)

Well done on the purchase and I am not a bit jealous at all :wink:

slammedkustom said:
Dear santa

for christmas i would like a lowered and narrowed beam, a set of sweet rims and some sunshine!
:lol:

You been looking at my christmas list Chris mate ??????? :wink: :wink:

Just been sent this shot of the crewie when it was collected at the docks.....just as well I wasn't there to see all that tat in the back... :shock: :lol:

109_0910.jpg

Carole :wink:

I don't think I've ever seem a staighter ute, single or dualley, that is a great "pick up" you made there.
The slamming stick would be a priority on my list. What other lights, if any do you need to alter for the UK? I'm thinking the headlights would be focused off to the right but that can be done with a screwdriver can't it?

Whatever happens, looks like you've got plenty of good times ahead; rolling in that baby.

Unfortunately its a replacement job its far to off to the right to adjust with the screwdriver..then theres the rear lights red indicators swapped for ambers or as some do fit ambers into the reverse lights and re-wire.

you could not just adjust the headlights as the beam pattern on the lens is completely different (they point in opposite directions)..if it did not have sealed beam lights you could just change the lens

so as Arron said replacement only way.., also move side lights from front indicators, to headlights, as American spec is to have driving lights.

rear lights have to be changed as only one bulb fitted as they use the stop light as the indicator too, so another wire is needed for offside rear indicator (as you can use the nearside black/yellow one for this) suggest using black/green. You would also need to piggy back a Black/red wire from the offside brake light over too the nearside to give you a pair, this is all Vw did in the looms.

Next up you have to remove the brake wires from the hazzard light/indicator wiring circuit which is quite straight forward and only involves joining two black/red wires back together.

Thus USA van converted to Uk spec..leccie wise

Sounds like a nice easy conversion. Plus with LHD the kids get to order at the drivethrough. Its worth the fun, but the food will kill you as sure as playing footy on the freeway!

He's home, hurrah!

Passed the MOT last week, just needed a couple of brake pipes and it sailed through. Did a 40 mile trip in him today, didn't miss a beat, runs really nice.

Will send off the DVLA paperwork tomorrow to get him registered, hoping for an 'F' plate as he was registered in Jan 1968.

Spent this afternoon giving him a wash and fitting new seatbelts front and back, 6 of them altogether.... :roll:

I'll post some piccies in the next day or so....

Took the crewie into work today and stuck him on the wash bay to jet-wash the underside off....

_1CL0126.jpg

don't you just hate it when people sneak up on you with a camera.....:roll:

oh, the glamour of owning an old VW...... :lol:

_1CL0133.jpg

so now the underside has all nice clean underseal, but I do need to anchor wax the inside of the arches properly, so I'll take him in again next week and stay late one evening to get that done, beats doing it on the drive at home in the cold!

At least I can still get underneath the van seeing as it's still at stock height, so may as well get stuff like that done before I get it lowered....saves faffing about with trolley jacks and axle stands.....

Carole

:wink:

Noticed on the drive home last night that there was a distinct whiff of petrol every time I went round a left hand bend. When I got home I noticed a small drip of petrol from the petrol breather pipe under the bus, which stopped after a couple of minutes. And also a small amount of petrol just under the filler cap, in the bowl itself.

So today I thought I'd check the petrol tank and pipework, just to try and see where it was coming from. At the back of my mind I was hoping it would simply be an ill-fitting petrol cap, but better to be safe than sure, petrol fumes and/or leaks are a big no-no....:shock:

The great thing about a crewie as I discovered today is how easy it is to gain access to the petrol tank. First, take all the rear bench seats out:

DSCN3302.jpg

Then the bench seat bulkhead, which is held in place by two wing nuts and two bolts on the floor, easy peasy:

DSCN3306.jpg

Access much easier now, here is the firewall in front of the petrol tank:

DSCN3304.jpg

So took the panel off and had a good look behind. If I ever need to change that fuel sender it will be a piece of pi$$!!

DSCN3307.jpg

Had a good look around, everything looked fine and dry, the only thing that needed replacing was the small piece of flexible pipe that runs from the top of the breather pipe into the petrol cap bowl. So I went down to CoolAir and got a new bit of pipe for that, and stuck a jubilee clip on it whilst I had everything in bits, just for good measure. You can't actually see it in the photo, as it's behind the big section of metal pipe. Just as well I've got small hands!!

So I'm now pretty sure that my original hunch about the petrol cap was right, it's not the greatest fit and the internal rubber ring inside the cap looks a bit suspect so I'll change it. But at least I know that all is well with the tank etc, and I wouldn't have been able to change that breather pipe without taking it all out anyway, so it was worth doing.

Then I had to take all the indicator stalk apart as the indicators refused to budge last night as well......after a good grease up it was all fine again, indicators now working!

It's always good to work on your van, however small the job, makes you feel that you're getting to know each other......:roll:

T-Cut and a polish tomorrow......

Thats amazing ..... :shock:

Is it coming to Volksworld? :lol:

Clem said:
Is it coming to Volksworld? :lol:

Hi Mike....

Yup, it'll be in the 'stock' line-up with the SSVC. So no 'mods' planned until after the show....:cry:

Lets hope that Rikki can find a few more stock early bay's to keep me company amongst all the splits..... :roll:

know of any others that will be there to join me?

wish I could join in but dont wanna be trapped all weekend :cry:

and next Volksworld it WON`T be stock :twisted: :twisted:

Grazy said:
wish I could join in but dont wanna be trapped all weekend :cry:

and next Volksworld it WON`T be stock :twisted: :twisted:

Only has to be on site from9 till 5 vehicles can be removed during the evening :wink:

Latest posts