68 Wiring - European Spec

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike.s

Reaction score
Hi,

Just pretty much starting again with my wiring as previous owners have been at it!

Its a bit weird as mine is swedish van - according to the diagrams on vintage bus website, it shouldn`t have hazards, but mine does have the switch.

It only has one flasher unit with 3 connectors labelled KBL 49a 49 and then the standard headlamp dip relay.

I think someone has retrofitted the hazards in there possibly! When got the igntion on, none of the indicators, hazards worked anyway so i`m starting from scratch!

It has one of these for the hazard switch -

6202856.jpg

One of these for the flasher relay -

7092751.jpg

I like to have the wiring correct in my vehicles so normally rewire them to factory spec, but it would be nice to retro fit the hazards in there and the flasher relay doens`t look like the right one anyway!

I have a 10 fuse fusebox.

I`ve been going off this diagram -

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/Transporter_from_August_1967.jpg

(althogh i`m not sure what those 2 fan things are marked V2!

Are there any guides to retro fitting hazards into a euro spec 68 bay and secondly - can i use that flasher relay?

CHeers, MIke

I can't help with your wiring - have you checked for any other wiring diagrams that might explain the bits you have? I think there are a few versions for a 68 Bay available on The Samba (I always use the diagrams on there for my 71 US spec bus).

The fans look to be 'ambulance' fans - if you have them you'll have wires feeding into your heater pods under the dash next to the doors and a fan switch on the dash though they're fairly rare.

Thanks - yes, i looked at the 69-70 diagram. That appears to have the hazrds on and the same relay and switch as i have got. I only have a 10 fuse fusebox though and that is 12.

I was looking at the two diagrams last night and i think i may be able to merge the two to make ti work properly... we shall see - will have a proper look tonight!

Fitting the hazard switch in is perfectly doable with what you have. Starting at the hazard switch follow a later (e.g.1972) diagram. You will need one extra connection to the fuse-box, red 2.5mm cable and suggest using fuse 10 output.
Peter Good

Hi,

Yes, used the 69 70 diagram and got it all working :) Works perfectly and no more dodgy wiring with push button ignition starters either now !

Can you take a picture of the switch connectors? All switched work similar.