'70 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosytoes

Reaction score
Hello folks
Thought I would introduce myself and the new bus. Got it in October as an ongoing rolling project.
Have passively been watching vdubs for quite a few years now and the time came when circumstances (money, kids!) permitted us to go ahead and actively look for an Earlybay. We live in Northern Ireland and Eary bay's are like hen's teeth over here. After about six months of searching the classifieds the plunge was taken and flights to the mainland were purchased and ferry tickets were researched.
The '70 Bay was as described, solid and most importantly for us, had MOT. The drive to Stranraer went without a hitch and the bus never missed a beat.
Some of you may know this bus from the Yorks area or from shows as the po said he attended quite a few.
Our plans for the bus are quite simple, new paint job, freshen the interior, change the wheels (17" Fuch replica's on it at the mo but i would like 15" skinnyer ones as these ones are 235's!)
I've never owned a Bay before so will be asking lots of stupid questions but, judging by the posts and forums, there is an Awful lot of knowledge on here!
Here are some pics of the bus (hope it works) with more to follow the project progresses.
Jon.

RHD aswell 8)
Fair play to you for taking the plunge into Classic Bay ownership.
I hope your used to being skint :mrgreen: , they do that to ya.
Keep the pix comming as you do it up.

Rich

P.S 1970 is the best year 8)

Bout ye! That's what had put me off all these years...having to look across the water to try and buy a veedub. Good luck with the bus. I think your only air cooled mechanic is in Armagh.

Thanks for the comments And info Gents.
I'm not sure about the original colour, it's either Colorado Red or Montana Red I think?
The Bus is September '70 with disc's up front, does that make it a 71 model year?

Hi there
Here's the problem, if you see the interior pics, somebody at some stage has removed the bulkhead! So there is no m-plate I'm afraid. Apart from chassis number etc. what info can you get from the vin plate?

Kosytoes said:

Awesome project Jon! If I lived closer I'd buy that front end guard ... would love to see it on the front of my panel. Looking forward to following your progress :D

Hello there Vwcanuck,
You are more than welcome to it, it weighs a ton!
When our Sh*te weather gets a bit better I'll be able to get cracking a bit faster, that's the problem with cramming a bus into a single car garage!

Kosytoes said:
Hello there Vwcanuck,
You are more than welcome to it, it weighs a ton!
When our Sh*te weather gets a bit better I'll be able to get cracking a bit faster, that's the problem with cramming a bus into a single car garage!

Hmmm I wonder what shipping would cost all the way to Canada? :?

It sure would make a good story rather than having one built here ...

Progress. Got a bit more done, slowly but surely, weather has been a bit crap and have had to work a lot.

There are several symmetrical holes under the paint, any clues as to what they were for?

THis is just below the rear window directly above the rear latch.

Hi kosytoes
Your making great progress stripping back that paint
I think the holes in your bodywork are for the delux trim clips
Can i ask for second dibs on that bullbar if vw cannuck isnt having it
Ive been looking for one to suit my bus for ages and the one off yours is perfect

paradox said:
Hi kosytoes
Ive been looking for one to suit my bus for ages and the one off yours is perfect

A shipping price of £400 is too high to send it all the way to Canada ... but I would appreciate some basic measurements and closer pictures of it so I can fab one for myself. Online there's lots of information about "roo bars" but this one is the best I've seen.

Great progress Kosytoes :D

vwcanuck said:
paradox said:
Hi kosytoes

A shipping price of £400 is too high to send it all the way to Canada ... but I would appreciate some basic measurements and closer pictures of it so I can fab one for myself. Online there's lots of information about "roo bars" but this one is the best I've seen.

Great progress Kosytoes :D
No probs, will get some pics and measurements done and post them.

paradox said:
Hi kosytoes

I'm in Northern Ireland and won't be over to mainland until July, unless you want to come and get it or arrange courier?
It's in my back yard gathering more patina! :D

Will the splash plates (the other one's the same) survive shot/sand blasting?

:(

Kosytoes said:
paradox said:
Hi kosytoes

I'm in Northern Ireland and won't be over to mainland until July, unless you want to come and get it or arrange courier?
It's in my back yard gathering more patina! :D

How much would the courier be to the mainland?

Latest posts