71 Dormobile D4/6

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trikky2

Reaction score
It a beautiful spring day here today so I finally got round to taking a few shots of my 71 Dormobile 4/6.

Its pretty boring, being white and stock looking, so i needed some persuasion to post these pictures.

I like it stock looking (having owned it for 35 or so years, I dont really want to change the way it looks). :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

The original elevating roof was changed for a spacemaker in 1981 to cope with two young children.

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Having been treated with Zeibart on the underside and Dinitrol in all cavities its never needed any welding and is 100% original.

06.jpg

The front seats are Citroen BX Gti adapted to fit the original VW frames. They are very comfortable and make a huge difference. Had I known this I would have done this mod much earlier in the vans life.

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

The twin water carriers and whale foot pump are the originals. The original "wardrobe" was found to be a waste of space and was removed when the new roof was fitted. This gave a space for the ladder so the kids could climb up to bed.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Citroen seat was adapted to cope with Dormobiles unusual cooker arrangement.

12.jpg

Original coolbox has new modern insulation and been fitted with Peltier twin fan cooler that works on 12v and mains. It works well, keeping things cool even in 35 degree heat, though it does not make ice. This was done because it not only retains the originality but its also much lighter and cheaper than a fridge and the works take up less space allowing for a big content.

13.jpg

Mains outlet and fridge controls are out of the way but still easy to access.

15.jpg

Dash is lightly modified. Radio is seventies pushbutton FM cassestte player which now also plays mp3 from a pod.
Its interesting to note that the radio cost about £90 back then. In todays money thats around £800 - and speakers were extra - lol.

14.jpg

Nice and original.

16.jpg

Seventies magnetic fly screens - still work.

17.jpg

Well thats about it I think. Hope you like the pics. :)

quality bus there fella, loving them screens 8)

I can't believe that you've been shy about your bus - she's a beauty!
Fantastic to have owned it for so long - must be like a member of the family...
If it was mine I'd have to change the wheel trims though - just a personal thing, sorry!
Congratulations on having a fantastic usable bus - can anyone beat 35 years ownership????

;)

Hey Trikky2,
I told you people would be interested in pics of your van. Gonna be a bit of a sleeper with the new engine & box. I have a couple of Qs about the cushions in the back - are the ones over the coolbox & over the spare wheel area original? or have you made them yourself? any pics when the beds setup? presumably its full width with these fitted? been thinking that something like that would be useful for mine, need to know whether to make them myself or whether to hunt around on ebay.
Matt.

Oh, didnt get round to scanning that info a while back as the home computer went a bit pear shaped, should be getting a new one next week so will sort it out and put it in the history section.

Trikky2 - have to agree with all the other dudes - that is one mighty
fine bus you have - love everything you have done so far.
Bet you are really proud of her :D

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

Justin and mutley re- the wheel trims. Yes they arent the most wonderful I agree.
I dont want to go for alloys because they are expensive and often fragile (I like to "explore" in my camper which is why its also not lowered).
The chrome standard hubcaps didnt look great either and these were the least hideous trims I could find (Audi). I was going to spray them white but didnt get round to it (typical).
I also thought maybe chrome std caps but with white wheels ... hmm. Do you have any better suggestions?

Loxy re- the scans - Ive done and sent the d4/6 brochure already.

You are right about the bed, I should have included these shots.

Its one of the things thats special about the dormobile conversion. With a very simple mod you can make the bed the full width of the van.

It was not something made by Dormoble themselves but it was a fairly popular diy mod back in the 70's.

(Use fairly solid/dense foam for over the fridge to stop it sagging because its a thicker cushion than standard)

18.jpg

19.jpg

The other thing is the roof conversion (which now the kids have grown up is rather surplus to requirements). It has a non standard bed layout. It has a single bed in the overhang above the sliding door and a double bed across the back of the van. The beds leave the walking space entirely unobstructed. The double across the back, without losing walking space, is possibe because the roof aperature on a dormobile is further foreward than in other conversions.

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments :)

Loxy heres the picture of the gas bottle installation you asked for.

Theres a hardboard rightangled panel which i removed to take the photo.
It protects the back of the rear light to prevent it being knocked when changing bottles.

The brown you can see on the body behind the bottles is not rust by the way, its Dinitrol (dating back to 1972 - lol - and still doing its job perfectly).

The brown you can see on the gas bottle IS rust. Bought last yr in Italy at a campsite - lord knows how long they had it in stock....

The base is marine ply 1/4" with another layer, with cutouts for the bottles, glued and screwed on top. Both wood and metal underneath are heavily treated.

I am not sure but i think that Dormobile started installing the bottles inside the van at a later date, maybe because they are a bit awkward to change over. I left them where they were because i like the space saving.

You can just see in the photo that to fit the righthand "spare" bottle they "eased" (dented upwards a with a mallet probably) the bottom of the spare wheel arch. Its only about 2cm but it makes all the difference.

20.jpg

Hope this helps M8.

lovely bus :D

Its nice to see one being used for its intended purpose, not just tarted up for posing about in.

With the wheels, Id be tempted just to paint the standard steels in your body colour, and fit some stock chrome hubcaps. Simple :D

Have you got any pics of the van whilst on holiday? id like to see it being enjoyed.

Hi Trikky2,
That bed is HUGE! Looks very practical...

Re: your wheel trims - I'll be very careful here as she's a lovely bus and your pride and joy (rightly so!); I wouldn't want to impose my ideas of what's cool onto anyone else, that said...

I think I'd keep my eye out for some older Mercedes alloys to go on - they'd be a stright swap, they're certainly not fragile (especially if they're from a large saloon for example) and they can be picked up for the price of a fresh set of rubber! If not, I'd stick with the stock wheels and hammerite them black, then stick your original chrome hub caps back on - mine's got white stock wheels at present and I can't stand them in white!
Whatever you choose to do, no-one can take away from you the fact that you've got a very, very cool usable bus :)

For example:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-15-Alloy-Wheels-w-tyres-Good-Condition_W0QQitemZ170091922339QQcategoryZ9888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

realy nice bus, i like her :D

i'm impressed of the roofbed. i've never seen something like that. it looks realy useful.

why not some chromed 5,5 R15 original wheels like they are used on the bugs?
but painted wheels with chromed hubcabs look realy nice too 8)

Well I couldnt decide whether to paint the wheels white or black so I painted them both.

21.jpg

22.jpg

As requested :- A few pictures of the van being used on holiday.

First ever trip to France. Wild camping in Provence in 1973

23.jpg

On our way to Spain in November 1974 when we camped in the pyrenees it was fine but this is what we woke up to in the morning

24.jpg

Wild camping somewhere not far from longleat 1974

25.jpg

Gorge du Tarn 1982

26.jpg

Wild camping in the riverbed of the Loire 1984

27.jpg

28.jpg

very very cool, i like the last picture with the fire, wish my dad had had a vw camper when i was little, we did have a mk1 transit ambulance tho!

did you have the bus repainted when you had the new pop top fitted? i see you have a coloured strip and then its gone and the new roof is on?

camping in rural france is great, done it a few times and loved it, much more fun than the UK, rozzers dont bother you, people are friendly, food is cheap!

After agree with SK - tha last pic is a beaut 8)

Looks like the van is well and truly a part of your family. Good show :D

The coloured stripe was made of tape. (Volkswagen packing tape). It looked nice but did not last long. When we went to Longleat the monkeys got hold of it and peeled most of it off in about 2 minutes - lol. I remember one indivdual running off with a piece about 4 feet long and carefully sticking it to the roof of a hillman minx in front of us.

love it, a bus with history! :lol:

we had our window wipers nicked by the monkeys at longleat!
little buggers!

slammedkustom said:
love it, a bus with history! :lol:

we had our window wipers nicked by the monkeys at longleat!
little buggers!

On an old Renault Laguna of mine, they peeled back the gutter trim - stuck in the air like a whipping aerial it did :shock:

Latest posts