71 Dormobile D4/6

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small update.
Last summer we spent a lovely 2 weeks touring round Corsica. inspiration came from Clems visit there a while back.

Clem was right - its a beautiful place.

The only hiccup was the fuel gauge which started under reading. Turned out it was a dodgy connection on the back of the gauge which was easily fixed whilst we were on a site.

The "new" engine and gearbox have now done about 16,000 miles. Fuel consumption has remained better than with the old 1600 and the oil doesent need topping up between changes (5000 miles). I'm well impressed by the quality parts from Speedshop.

Great pics and glad the van managed the journey with only a minor annoyance :)

I had a few people ask me about the sleeping arrangements and the elevating roof so heres some pictures.
first from the cab looking back (without and then with the barrier, so youngsters don't fall) :-

Next a couple from the back looking forward :-

So in addition to the full width bed downstairs, theres two beds upstairs. The one down the side of the bus is 190 x 63 cm and the one across the rear of the roof is 196 x 91 cm. The beauty of this arrangement is that the walking space is left completely unobstructed.

Adults can simply climb the furniture to get up to the roof bunks but theres a ladder for the kids.

Oh - and I re did the interior floor :)

I made the bunks out of high grade plywood to minimise weight. Did this back in 1982 - how time flies... Still, seems to have held up ok :)

Great little write up Rik.

Good to read that you had a lovely time. Its not a true trip if you don't have to do a little job or two on the vw :)

I always like seeing the work you've done on the dormobile to make it more User friendly and functional for your own needs

NaFe

Latest posts