71' Rear Arches

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProjectMat

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls of EB, I have a question that needs answering....

My Bus is a 1971 microbus :cool: , and the arches on it at present are rotten both sides, one side doesn't even have the lip remaining. I am after replacement arches, preferably full panel replacements so I can make my own cuts as needed.

What arches were originally on a 1971 bus?

In Molenaar's book 'VW Transporter and Microbus specification guide' there is only a brief mention of the 1971 model year changing to the late arches.

IMG_20160628_224326_zpszbfoduth.jpg

IMG_20160628_224402_zpsrtynczoz.jpg

The arches on the bus now are early arches - these are already replacement arches

1915249_178392864548_3969192_n_zps0xk6fmbb.jpg

Pic of the van from the 2000's with intact arches

I have also had someone comment in my progress thread that 1971 had a one year only arch which I cannot find any mention or supply of. :shock:

Please help!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's also worth mentioning I have the later spec wheels with the holes around the outer rim

I have previously purchased these arches for my bus, but I don't want to fit them without first making sure they are the right ones :msn4:

IMG_20160617_130148_zpsov4xoame.jpg

71 only rear arches seemed to run from Aug 70 to Jan/Feb 71 build dates then they switched to late style arches (as per late bay)

More info here-

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=62622&hilit=+Arches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Bus' birth date is March 71, so which arches were originally on my bus?

I had the same issue on my 71. Pre 71(early)had the little lip on the edge of a straight panel. Post 71(late)had slight flare at the arch with a "flat" edge on the lip. My one year only 71 is more like a post 71 except it is more rounded on the lip with no flat edge, if that makes sense :?
I couldn't find any replacement arches. The options I had were cheap late bay arches, full genuine rear arches up to roofline(Brazilian vw) or klassicfab latebay arches.
I opted for the klassicfab from C&C as they were the best quality overall. The only other option is to get a "cut" from a original bus being parted out.

Thanks for the replies guys. So general verdict is late bay rear arches after Feb 1971. Weird that they would change mid-late production year isn't it... has anyone seen a 71 only rear arch being reproduced anywhere?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts