71 Sierra Yellow, OG paint refresh

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leon said:
Apart from the wiper holes not lining up, was the panel a good profile? It certainly looks to be. I've ordered one for a job because I heard they were far superior than anything else on the market.
Nice job btw.

Yes, the profile was good, thats why I was so surprised that the wiper shafts were out. I have heard that the corners where the belt line starts can be off but this van really wasn't that bad so I only went to the corner of the windscreen recess as seen in the pics so it didn't foul me up

I had to redo the heat duct that previously ran above the beam. Now that the beam is raised an inch I had to find a way to have the heat connect to the front from the rear. So I took the original one and cut a couple of pie shaped cuts out of it, a few relief cuts, re weld and reshape it so it now runs in between the beam tubes and will not compromise the amount of air that goes through it compared to before.

I also continued with the tedious task of removing the old undercoating to reveal shiny OG paint. I still have to get the corners clean and use thinner to remove the black reside.

Leon ,

I'm in uk and just was wondering where you can source the screen Klassic fab panel
As you said you where carrying out the same job as in this thread ? And I've the same task ahead of me !

Cheers Adi

I opted out of going into the cold garage tonight. Instead I set myself up a cleaning station in the utility room and cleaned my exterior trim. I then used special polishing compound to polish all of the plastic lenses back to a shine. It sure pays off collecting all the little bits like this at swap meets as you see them. I was able to find a full nice set of OG Hella lenses for the van out of my stash of earlybay lenses. I also polished up the chrome and found my self a real nice set of original mirrors too. I know I have nice chrome deluxe door pulls and chrome handle surrounds to go with the winders. I guess I'll have to do some digging.

Awesome OG paint here!

I was wondering, the wheels you are running are different to mine, but I was wondering about what static clearance you have on the rear between your drive shafts and the chassis rail and also the semi trailing arm and the chassis?

I'm running 205 45 R17's so it may be an illusion that you are lower then me due to more of the alloy tucking into the wheel arch.

Thanks bud, I always loved your "Rhodaback Janitorial" bus.

Haveacamper said:
Awesome OG paint here!

I was wondering, the wheels you are running are different to mine, but I was wondering about what static clearance you have on the rear between your drive shafts and the chassis rail and also the semi trailing arm and the chassis?

I'm running 205 45 R17's so it may be an illusion that you are lower then me due to more of the alloy tucking into the wheel arch.

Wheels are 5x112 (15"x5.5") with 185/65R15 tires. In the rear I still have to notch out for the axles. As far as the "semi trailing arms" go there is tons of clearance because of the drop plate and the adjustable spring plate. You would rub the engine bar before you bottomed out the trailing arm. But I am running a nice stiff set of Gas A Just shocks to keep it all in track.

Foe me its all about wheels tuck, I am not so worried about how low it is to the ground, more concerned about "the stance"

Hope that helps.

maybe there isnt much difference...

026.jpg

i was going on the amount of wheel you had under the arch. glad you are going to notch the chassis a bit for the drive shaft as mine is pretty close and yours looked a bit lower. just thought i would check to make sure you had this in mind :)

looks good, whatever it works out to be hehe.

Haveacamper said:
maybe there isnt much difference...

026.jpg

i was going on the amount of wheel you had under the arch. glad you are going to notch the chassis a bit for the drive shaft as mine is pretty close and yours looked a bit lower. just thought i would check to make sure you had this in mind :)

looks good, whatever it works out to be hehe.

Nice looking bus you have there!!

The roof had a few touched up spots with house paint. I stripped the paint off, treated the bare metal and then primed and airbrushed in the areas with Sierra Yellow paint. I am going to airbrush in some Pastel white over it to match up the patina. Here are a couple of pics just after I sprayed the yellow.

Finished up the lower windshield yesterday. It just needs to be primed and patina'd.

Polished up the engine lid last night. The paint comes out decent with a bit of patina in the edges of the license surround. I hope to be able to start blending in the rest of the paint soon.

Just finished up refitting the windows with new rubber and new chrome trim.

I also found an original rear jail bar for the bus. Problem is I had to buy the hatch and the decklid to get it! I'm not a big fan of repro stuff so I have a decklid and hatch to sell now. It was off an earlier bus so I also used the rear glass as well. That way I deleted the lines in the rear glass and it gives it a much cleaner look.

I broke out the polisher and polished the jail bar and while I was at it I polished up the rear license frame bracket.

I also went through my spare body chrome and found a nice set. I tapped out the few dings that were there, stripped the anodizing and polished up the whole lot too.What a long and tedious job!

I started in with the paint blending last week. ISomebody at one time decided to take and scuff up spots on the van a touch them up with house looking paint. I stripped the old paint off and "repaired" them by first priming the area and then blending in the paint with proper Glasurit Sierra Yellow paint with an airbrush. Here are a few shots:

after removing the old touch up:

Primed:

Airbrushed:

Wetsanded:

I also cleaned up the inner door jambs on the doors while they were off and wet from wetsanding.
From this:

To this:

I have also been tossing around different interior idea's again. I saw these picture of a bus for sale the other day and thought hmmmm. Maybe not the same colours but that retro of an idea may work well with the wheels. I was leaning towards all black :msn4: with a diamond or biscuit stitch insert

Latest posts