72 westy all terrain..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roland

Reaction score
So, after I sold my 70 deluxe last year to get the Velvet 68 kombi this summer, I wanted to find a rust free westy for family trips. Few days after I started looking without really thinking of buying, I find this on the samba:

201105062.jpg

201105063.jpg

201105064.jpg

201105067.jpg

201105069.jpg

dsc00071a.jpg

dsc01629sb.jpg

Bit dirty but looks dry.

dsc00076vd.jpg

Looks like it has a few bumps but the interior looks decent and complete, the body looks rust free and it comes without an engine, which is perfect for me since I already have a 1915 with dual 40idf's to put in a westy.

I collected some parts to fit to this bay while I was waiting for it, and also I found some stuff in my garage that I could use. Kind of forgot I had most of this stuff.. :lol:

Pair of westy stools
img2628w.jpg

NOS front emblem

Set of bumper overriders
683t.jpg

New overrider rubbers I bought on here.

Tap for the sink I bought on here too..
681r.jpg

091 gearbox. Might be too tall with the tires I plan on using though..
689w.jpg

Under dash parcel trays, not common.
686e.jpg

Engine support bar to put a type1 in a 72-> bay
687ux.jpg

Front light grilles
684o.jpg

M501 conversion thing. Only got that part so need to fab the bottom bars
roland2.jpg

Locking hatch mechanism
roland1.jpg

I had it shipped and finally had the time to pick it up last week and started the work.

img3597b.jpg

A few clean-up tests first.

img3606k.jpg

img3604r.jpg

img3605h.jpg

Lokking good! The paint is really faded and almost dull yellow/white at some places where it should all be sierra yellow. But with some love, it's back to being awesome!

The battery tray is shot, but I also found a nasty repair there

img3615zp.jpg

img3613ob.jpg

Looks like the corner had a hit and was changed, really state of the art stuff. Bondo, pop rivets, etc. :roll: won't be changing the corner though, don't plan on putting new paint on this bus for now. And it looks decent from outside.

Big rat's nest over the driver's head, between the insolation and the wood panel. Good thing I removed the panel then.

img3655j.jpg

I'm removing the interior to see if there's any rust under the wood floor and also to change it, it's a bit nasty.

img3608jt.jpg

This is the plan for the back tire size, 235/75/15. Right now they are fitted on mercedes 7X15 ET25 wheels and these wheels have too much offset

img3610qi.jpg

I found some syncro wheels, 6X15 ET30, might be better to fit the tire under the arches without cutting them like I had to do on my ex 72. There's plenty of room on the inside for the tire.

img3612k.jpg

That's it for now! Taking everything out and labeling every part & screw to know where they go back in a few weeks takes ages!

Looks like a good project and sounds interesting with the future high stance :mrgreen:

Thanks guys!

aogrady, yes, "offroad" plans. I want to use the 235/75/15 on the pics at the back of the van, and 215/75/15 at the front. I'm not sure if I'm going to modify the suspensions. I did it on my previous 72 offroader and it was pretty uncomfortable. I might need to get a pair of raised spindles but they are not cheap. And at the back, the problem I had with the previous one was that I kept breaking CV joints.. So I still have to figure that out. :lol:

squareweave said:
Will 930 CV's work? The buggy guys must have a solution. Cool project by the way!!

Well they would work but they are quite expensive soooo... :? I'll look into it though...

Quand j'ai vu le capot sur la photo, j'ai tout de suite su que c'était le bon.. :lol:

So I finished removing the interior. No major bad surprises. Couple of small holes here and there, no major rust under the windshield though!

img3702zo.jpg

img3703r.jpg

img3705f.jpg

The spare wheel area had been half hacked off to fit a gas heater so I finished the work properly. I'll fill that up with a flat panel. More sleeping space and also the new wheels won't fit there.. :)

img3700o.jpg

Duck tape interior panel? Mmmokay... :bash:

img3692y.jpg

Finished the night by cleaning the front. I like how it came out! :mrgreen:

img3707yk.jpg

img3708f.jpg

Ace work, cant beat a good buff 8)

Well that thing fell off..

img3719x.jpg

Slamming maybe... no.

img3728r.jpg

found a buddy. Maybe someone has a goth friend that wants a new keychain?

img3723b.jpg

Cleaning up nicely..

img3722i.jpg

Let's work on rust.

After I wire brushed the floor some holes appeared.. :(

895303.jpg

895299.jpg

895302.jpg

895300.jpg

once it was welded, some rust converted on the rest of the surface rust..

895301.jpg

Took the tank out while there's no engine. Always a fun task. Some cleaning required now.

895305.jpg

Then I looked closely at the grey corner and it's not beer repaired with bondo, it's been build out of bondo on the bottom part.. so, some more welding required..

895304.jpg

Got some a big bunch of parts that I'll need to put the westy back on the road.

896328.jpg

So I did more welding. Small hole in the windscreen area

896327.jpg

Passenger side of the front floor.

896326.jpg

Next day, I removed the rear brakes and all the suspension parts. There was tons of dust, spider webs and crud in the drums...

896324.jpg

First I test-fitted the horseshoe plates I got from loweredlight...

896325.jpg

Can't wait for that thing to be on it's wheels. :mrgreen:

One day of work yesterday on the battery tray and corner. Didn't look pretty.. :lol:

895304.jpg

So, cut, grind, cleanup, paint, ..

899052.jpg

Made a small repair piece to fix that hole (no pic..)

Then for the part under the light. The new panel has a shape that has nothing in common with the original shape of the car, could you believe it.. :x :lol: especially because this is a crossover and the part is for late bays. So i tired to take the smallest piece possible for the repair.

After a rough cut, I place the new metal on the old one and cut both at the same time, holding them together with vise grips and these little welding things.

899051.jpg

Then cleanup of the piece and presenting it where it belongs.

899050.jpg

And then some magic. (aka welding.)

899049.jpg

New battery tray was installed before, plug welded from the inside and outside.

899048.jpg

Only left to grind and paint!

Latest posts