72 westy all terrain..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today a bit of cleaning and painting for the parts that'll put back on the bay soon. Also got my front beam back with adjusters that are placed not the usual way (aka not to go down!) :lol:

901192.jpg

901193.jpg

Started on the beam monday morning, thinking I'd get it back in before noon. I was done with it today around 3PM :lol: :roll:

Mostly waisted my time trying to put the spring leaves back in the beam. Almost thought about putting everything on fire at some point.

903929.jpg

Also, I noticed that new vacuum brake thing wouldn't fit because it's bigger than the stock one, and it would hit on the threaded part for the beam. So i had to grind it a little.

903931.jpg

Waiting for the lifted spindles and the late bearing carriers to put the front back together.

To the rear...

New bearings, seals, rubbers, etc. Bit of paint and back on the van without the "drop plates" for Mot in Belgium...

907468.jpg

Then I prepped and painted the backing plates for the drums, of course I had a reaction with the 2 paints.. re-did it again and had another reaction, so i'll leave it like that.. :oops: :evil:

907469.jpg

907467.jpg

Then the stub and all the stuff that's in the drum (new obviously..)

907470.jpg

Then the new drum with a lick of paint too..

907471.jpg

And then same thing on the other side. Much quicker the second time! :lol:

I did put the front bumper back on to boost me. looks great but the left over-rider is hitting the front panel because small dent. So I guess i'll have to remove the bumper and get the hammer out.. :lol:

907472.jpg

Also I changed the parking brakes cables, clutch cable, accelerator cable, new steering bar and damper, restored the gearbox shift rod with new guides, and many other small things..

Coming along nicely. What are your plans with the nose? Have you ever heard of inflating a football (north american style, not futbol) ;) to pop out the dents. I used one on my old 60 single cab and it worked quite well.

Been busy today.

Fixed the hole in the back where the spare wheel usually go. No use for me since the wheels will be too big to fit so i did close it flat.

911330.jpg

911329.jpg

911328.jpg

Then I had the 235-75-15 tires i had mounted on mercedes wheels, 6.5' ET 49. Looks pretty good I think! :mrgreen: And also the back fits just like a glove, about 2mm of clearance on the inside and 1cm on the outside..

911327.jpg

911325.jpg

911324.jpg

I'm thinking I'll go for black wheels, I like the look. What do you guys think?

Took some measurements.

911323.jpg

911322.jpg

:lol:

Thanks!

More progress. Fitted the raised spindles, disc brakes & all new parts on the front.

917695.jpg

917692.jpg

Also bought a polishing machine thing, started on the right side. Makes a wold of difference!

917694.jpg

The bad news is the inside of the wheel touches the suspension arm, so i'll have to narrow the wheels from the inside. The good news is, it's higher that what I had mockup-ed! :mrgreen:

917690.jpg

Wow - that looks seriously tall. Do you think it will settle? It should drop a little once theres a bit of weight in it I think. I wonder what it will be like to drive...

Yes it will settle, right now it's empty and freshly put together, so i'll loose a few inches, but it's not a bad thing I guess. It's really tall tall indeed!

We'll see how it is to drive but i hope it'll be better than my ex 72 offroader...

Latest posts