A late intro beats no intro, right?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue71

Reaction score
I joined up 4 years ago, lurked around for a bit then life got really busy. Well, I'm back now and will properly introduce myself!

My name's Nick, and I'm a Volksaholic. It started with helping my dad fix my older sister's 67 bug when I was a young teenager. Then we bought me a 1971 bug when I was 16 (still have it at 26.) After that it snowballed to a bus per year. It's gotten worse in the past 18 months when I've added a bug and three buses to overpopulate the barn and yard at my parents' house while I'm 800 miles away in grad school (NE vs. OH.) I don't go newer than 71 for my VWs but do work on my older sister's 73 super from time to time.

Here are a few photos, each has a story but they get pretty long so I won't bore you with the details. They've all had a lot of work done to them by me or friends with VW based businesses, one who is coincidentally listed in the Muir book shop section. I'll try to find some before photos later. As for now, enjoy!

The one that started it all for me.

71 standard bug, rack and longboard added in undergrad

70 transporter

71 westy

68 westy #1

67 bug

68 westy #2

70 westy with 71 brakes, PO made one bus from two

The original trio, all running

The buses as of this fall

The new additions

And a blown transmission I turned into a table

Welcome and what a nice collection of dubs you have had/have 8)

As far as intros go ,, that is pretty cool 8) 8) 8) That my man is some selection of Vee Dubs, not only have you introed very well, but it comes complete with piccies, I guess, if you`ve been lurking, then you`ll know how we hound peeps for piccies :mrgreen: It must be a bit like christmas at your place but every day with that fine VW menagerie we have seen. So what`s left to say then ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Welcome welcome and welcome again :mrgreen:

Thank you all for the warm welcome. A little more background about me is I did biology in college, took a year off and worked at my friend's VW repair shop for a change of pace and to learn from him (RIP). Now I'm 26, live ~800 miles from my VWs and immediate family and attend graduate school to get a Ph.D. doing breast cancer research with a drug resistance focus.

None of the VWs are for sale, though maybe somewhere far down the line the blue 68 westy will be after it's roadworthy again. In addition to them I have a daily driver Buick SUV with me at school and an offroad spec Chevy S10 that is my work/winter/towing/hauling truck at my parents' house.

This is a short blurb in the alumni magazine from where I went to undergrad, done during my senior year there.

I fit half of a 68 vert in the bed, then traded the clip, seats, doors, and decklid for bodywork on my blue/white 71 westy. This is an older pic.

Clem said:
Cool pics! 8)

Thanks, there are others on my photobucket but at times too many pics at once can be overwhelming ;)

Lee C said:
Hhoooooooooowwww many???? 8) !!!

At last count 5 buses for me, 2 beetles for me, and 2 beetles for my sister are in storage at out parents' house. Her bugs are a 67 standard and a 73 super.

Marriedblonde said:
Nice collection :)

Thanks, if you'd have asked me if I'd own more than one a decade ago I'd have laughed and said "Nope." :D

woz said:
blue71 said:
My name's Nick, and I'm a Volksaholic.

Yep you sure are. 8) collection though, whats next :?:

Next is finishing the pair of 68 westies, turning the white derelict donor 70 westy into a bar in my dad's vineyard, and then either a frame off on the 67 bug or finding a single cab.

CHILDSEY said:
Wow! Great selection of VWs you have there 8)

Thanks, they just seem to find me!

CHILDSEY said:
Wow! Great selection of VWs you have there 8)

Thanks, they are all still currently mine. The bugs and the first two buses run/drive. I did give the 67 bug to my mom and the green 68 will be for them as well as being my therapy project. Currently I'm collecting metal for her. I didn't include photos of the ROTTEN 58 bug I parted, 66 bug I sold, 68 bug I parted, or the 74 super sunroof we cut up at the shop I used to work at (no photos.)

The 58 my best friend named Tetanus that, after being parted, funded the 71 westy

ozziedog said:
As far as intros go ,, that is pretty cool 8) 8) 8) That my man is some selection of Vee Dubs, not only have you introed very well, but it comes complete with piccies, I guess, if you`ve been lurking, then you`ll know how we hound peeps for piccies :mrgreen: It must be a bit like christmas at your place but every day with that fine VW menagerie we have seen. So what`s left to say then ??
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Welcome welcome and welcome again :mrgreen:

A lack of photos, especially when someone asks for technical help, drives me nuts! Or when they say "Will post later," but never do so. As a result I do my best to provide photos when I can. It's funny, the last time I was at my parents' house was Christmas and I bought two more buses (the last snow covered photo pair.) I kind of took over the loft part of my dad's barn with all my spare stuff for 68+ bugs that I won on eBay years ago. Never thought I would win, but nobody else must have looked closely at the shoddy photos he uploaded. After selling two things (super beetle clock and an engine) I made my investment back and my hobby has been fairly self sustaining ever since.

More photos:

71 bad vinyl, oh well

I immensely dislike the California look that was done two owners ago when this bus was still out west.

My sister's 73 super in the middle.

The offroad spec truck

The daily

One of my most prized possessions and final Christmas gift from my friend, mentor, and mechanic: the steering wheel from a 356 he owned. I swore to never sell it. I won't. Ever.

And a video of a club cruise two summers ago, you have to click to make it play.

1164730.jpg

I just got my hands on this rust free section from a 76/77 that will be easier and cheaper to graft into the green 68 than sourcing all of the different repair panels.

Latest posts