about to buy a bay!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdeano

Reaction score
hi all, first post so be gentle!!, looking at buying a bay in the next couple of weeks, one on ebay at the mo (320953832859), had a look at it and looks fine apart from the dropped chassis!!, mechanically im sorted but welding ive got to offer it out, now the new parts there how easy would it be to replace?, is it garage job, interior out, body off, etc a right game type of job or could it be done on the drive, jacked up, bit of a struggle etc, on a buget so the least expensive option, looking at upto £2K to get it roadworthy,(a few other bits and bobs to do as well) or is it a walk away bus!!,
thanx dean

Difficult to tell from the description and pics as there's not enough detail but if the rear end is knackered then id suspect a whole load of other rust related issues underneath. Some of the lower parts of the panels don't look very straight either.
For the amount it's going for now plus your 2k you'd be better off looking for a solid import if you aren't capable of doing bodywork yourself but can do mechanical.
Too many first time buyers get a RHD "restored" bus first time out, I would say unless you are very lucky or buying a cheap RHD import (so an Oz or SA bus, which is very unlikely) then steer clear of RHD buses as they've invariably had a hard life and it's very costly to do high quality repair work, so most don't.....
Driving a LHD bus really isn't that difficult and getting something with solid bodywork is the single most important factor when buying a bus IMHO.

Also looks like the Dormobile roof isn't original, Looks too far back which isn't necessarily a problem, depends on how they cut the roof to fit it, Dormobile weren't exactly careful with their roof mods either!!

You can tell where the filler is on the panels as its not a top notch job but will do for a few years, bodywork is not that much of an issue really, just the welding work and underneath that is an issue, had a look underneath and everything looks as it should but without getting it up on a ramp and having a prod about theres no telling, the roofs not a problem, seals tight and nice and tidy, theres pro's & con's with every bus and this is no different, on a budget so if it goes cheap will have funds to get it fixed (or not), depending on price of fixing back chassis, not a bad bus really but as you say theres others out there

Have a look at Haveacampers gallery thread on here, start at the beginning when he bought a 72 Dormobile.
It's an excellent example of a bus that looked alright when he bought it. Then have a look at what he bought to replace it after realising how bad the original purchase was(you can hide all sorts of nasty repairs under filler & thick layers of chassis paint).
I've never heard of the rear suspension collapsing on a bus before but if it's rusted through then that's a serious amount of rust which can't have been localised to just the rear suspension and it would make me very suspicious of why the rest of the bus has been "restored" but that bit left???

Underneath looks ok to the eye, no waxoil or bitumin hiding anything, bit of welding done near the front but nothing out of the ordinary, but like u say if that bits rusted through then its only a matter of time before something else needs sorting, still 50/50 about bidding on it, dont mind doing the mechanical or visual stuff myself but need it good and solid to start with, watching about 30 others as well but budget is only £8k so i know what i get will not be a minter and need some work doing, just dont need a money-pit bus to start me off

http://www.fbivw.com/carsales/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haveacamper on here bought his import from FBIVW. There's a couple on there for 6k or less that you should be able to get up and running for less than 8k.

Edit: There are a number of other importers out there too that may or may not have better deals!

The first thing that struck me is that it's had a lot of work done to it in the past.

It's clearly a '72 (or later) van due to the engine bay and wider chassis rails at the rear, however it has been retrofitted with early rear lights and early rear vents.

Not necessarily a problem, but check it's been done well. It's a lot of surgery gone on there :)

Looking for something a bit more complete loxy, as nice as they are probably to much to take on, been and seen a few over the last few weeks and all have plus and minus points about them, thought this one would be an ideal start if the rear chassis was doo-able

I wouldn't. Like the others say, it's been too mucked about with - it's a hotch-potch of this and that. Not to mention the chassis has collapsed. Depanding on exactly what's happened to the chassis it could be fixed more cunningly than that chunk in the photo, but is that really what you want? I wouldn't. There are plenty of other buses out there. I would go so far as to say it's a buyers market at the moment.
I've had bays for nearly 20 years. All uk busses in various conditions. Then I spent 5 years restoring them for others. Then I bought myself a nice (cheap) US import for less than that one. Nuff said. :)

Currently £5200 :shock:

Its definately been messed about a bit, its a later shell , with the rear engine bay and petrol filler further back but its got early vents no flared arches front or rear

As others have said if on a budget dont by a UK bus

Well i didn't bid for it in the end, thanx everyone for the advise, still looking got a load in my ebay watching, on hear and other places, i'll probably ask again soon for some opinions, cheers dean

Torn between a few, missus wants a pop top and i'm not fussed, tin top will do me, but its got to be sound, most of the bus's ive got my eye on are tin tops, but if it comes to a point that a pop top is what we need...would it be possible to put an elevating roof into a tin top myself? Or is it a no-no don't even think about it, seen some on flea-bay for about £400-£700 so not to expensive, anyone done it?, problems?, costs? Etc, cheers dean

You can do almost anything - fitting a totally different roof has been done so adding a pop top later wouldnt be too difficult.

Have a read of this thread especially where the roof is replaced - awesome work.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26564&hilit=citrus+valley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gadget has just restored my new bus and is a genius!

Wooo hooo, brought myself a early bay!!!, drove it back 150 miles last night, very pleased!!

560c3897-4619-8cdd.jpg

More to come later

Latest posts