Accelerator Cable Snapped - Best way to replace?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just had my accelerator cable snap at the hook bit where it attaches to the pedal linkage.

Access is a bit tight - Haven't got much room around sides of van - and it backs onto a drive with steepish incline. But can get under front.

So, fitting a new cable...

I've read a few posts about the flex tube towards the rear that the cable travels through being a pain. Also, I haven't removed the old cable yet.

What's the best technique to replace the cable?
Is it possible to attach the broken cable to the new cable/some para cord and feed this through?

Cheers,
Steve

It shouldn't really be necessary. Pull the old cable out from the front and from the back if necessary, and try to push the new one in from the front. If it gets stuck at that bowden section, pull the guide tube out of the fan housing, and look over the gearbox for the flexi. You can pull that out of the steel conduit, where you'll find the end of your new cable ready to be pushed into it. Then just keep feeding until it's through. Pop a bit of grease on it too, doesn't hurt.

Happystamps said:
It shouldn't really be necessary. Pull the old cable out from the front and from the back if necessary, and try to push the new one in from the front. If it gets stuck at that bowden section, pull the guide tube out of the fan housing, and look over the gearbox for the flexi. You can pull that out of the steel conduit, where you'll find the end of your new cable ready to be pushed into it. Then just keep feeding until it's through. Pop a bit of grease on it too, doesn't hurt.

OK - cheers for the help. Managed to fit the new cable.
Only bit I was unsure about was where the cable exited the solid tube at the rear near gearbox and then ran up to the back of the fan housing. I couldn't see any if this & did it blind by just feeling around, but it sounds like I'm missing a flexible tube?

Walt said:
Happystamps said:

OK - cheers for the help. Managed to fit the new cable.
Only bit I was unsure about was where the cable exited the solid tube at the rear near gearbox and then ran up to the back of the fan housing. I couldn't see any if this & did it blind by just feeling around, but it sounds like I'm missing a flexible tube?

That does sound possible. The tube on mine was about five or six inches long and had a bit of a bell mouth at one end where the sable slipped in. Without this tube or a tube of some sort, I'm guessing the cable could wear through on the fan housing fairly quickly. This isn't where's yours had worn through by any chance ?

Ozziedog,,,,,, just a thought, fairly cheap too. ;) :mrgreen: ;)

Mine snapped at the cable hook attached to the accelerator linkage under the pedal. There was a small tube at the back of the fan housing - but then nothing between that and the tube near the gearbox.
Cheers!

So swapped the broken accelerator cable for a new one the other day. At the time I noticed it was slightly shorter.

Anyway today finally got to take the van out but as soon as I started it the revs went full on. Guess the cable was too tight/short?
So I swapped it for another longer different one (from heritage) that had an extra foot of cable but also the carb end of the cable had a thick flattened S shape attached.

Now have the new cable fitted but how does it attach to the twin carb linkage? My old cable had a thick piece of metal that threaded into a hole on the small removable cylinder with a screw going into it. I have threaded the new cable into this hole but the screw doesn't thread far enough into the cylinder to lock the cable tight?
As a temporary fix I thought about bulking the hole out with spare cable.

Latest posts