Accident - please help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredamens

Reaction score
Hi all

I was unfortunate to be involved in an accident (not my fault) but it has left me in a position where I have to prepare an estimate. I have a 1971 Californian import SO70.

I was hit by a girl that was messing about with her sat bag and veered head on onto my side of the road damaging the front , all down the passenger right hand side (left hooker) and rear believe it or not.

I have someone that can undertake the work but I need costs for the damaged parts. I'm sure you will all agree that I don't want a door repaired that will be full of filler I want a new old stock/original rust free door. I appreciate that you can get any parts we need now days but given my bus has never had any damage or wielding I only want the best repair.

My questions are therefore where is the best place to get the parts I need and what cost would you assign for the estimate. I can then get the parts once the quote is agreed. Parts below.

Front bumper
Front passenger door
Front screen
Aerial
Original door mirror
Head lamp rim

There are other parts such as bumper step rubber, indicators etc but I can get them.

Thank you all kindly

Fred

I don`t want to be the bearer of bad tidings Fred, but I don`t think you have very many options. The replacements that you are looking for , just aren`t available in any decent quality as brand new and doors and bumpers etc , you may have to look at second hand parts as replacements and contact the importers to see what they have, people like Rusty and FBI. If I had the choice ,I think second hand old stock parts are far superior even though they`re second hand . Good luck with your search.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

I was worried that would be the case. C&C sell some new parts, door for instance but they were made for the Brazilian busses.

Thanks for the heads up

fredamens said:
I was worried that would be the case. C&C sell some new parts, door for instance but they were made for the Brazilian busses.

Thanks for the heads up

Yeah sorry about that Fred, check with some of the user forums where you`ll find real answers from people that really know their stuff, like the Late or the Early bay forums . Body panels from certain places including what you mentioned are poor for want of a better word and I`d think 99% would prefer Cali imports second hand to the tosh that is sold as new stuff. Rubbers are another thing that are so poor nowdays, there`s pictures of rubbers crazing and going horrible in a month or two without even leaving the garage.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Good hunting bud :mrgreen:

Contact Mark at MCJ Imports with a list and get him to quote you on the parts. Ask him for his best bits and let the insurance pay :)

My Grandad claimed off his insurance once & I got the camper into the main ford dealer I worked at at the time.
The insurance paid for a brand new Brazilian bumper, but it was crap, so I sent it back, Schofields found is a NOS hub cap & a good 2nd hand bumper which the insurance company was happy to pay for!!!

If you have a guy in mind to repair it for you, surely he can do a written estimate for your insurance?????

Thank you all its appreciated. I will do a bit more digging and contact mark and insist on dry Cali imports in regards to the insurance.

Fred

Latest posts