advice on 30pict2 carb please!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Reaction score
Hi,

my carb is in need of a bit of attention. I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice as I'm not sure what to do for the best;

1 by bluenose1982, on Flickr

First pic I'm not sure what this arm is which I've circled in red? it flaps around loosely all over the place and doesn't seem to have a job to do, there is a ball on it which looks like it was for some sort of linkage, can't see what though. Also there is some play in this shaft.

2 by bluenose1982, on Flickr

second pic the fast idle cam wobbles around everywhere, so much in fact the idle screw has completely missed it :lol: also there is about a 1mm side ways play in this shaft.

3 by bluenose1982, on Flickr

third pic, the lever for the accelerator pump turns about 1mm before it even moves the linkage rod. I guess this isn't normal.

I've read the 30 pict 2 is not the best of carbs. Are parts available for me to repair it or will it be a scrap heap challenge?

Is there a suitable replacement carb I can bolt straight on which will have the correct vacuum signal to work with my low cap vacuum only distributor.

Any advice appreciated as always!

Hi there,

Think I'm in a pretty similar position to you at the mo.
My carb is shot. Same one. 30 pict 2.

Have you replaced yours yet?

So, the flappy bit at the top it your choke return (or something like that) When you start up the choke turns that bit so that your throttle doesn't return as far. Higher revs etc while the engine warms up.

My carb is shot because the throttle linkage which runs into the carb on the side is letting in air. Worn bushes apparently. Was fine for a while, then just suddenly went.
Not something that you can refurbish.

Asked around, and will do a bit more asking on here later, but the general consensus seems to be that if you have the money go for twin carbs.
For some reason I get the impression that new replacement copies or similar carbs don't have a good reputation. (I might be wrong on that tho')

As I find out more I'll let you know.

And if you have any updates do tell.

Posted and asked here. Only one reply so far but you can keep an eye on this thread as well.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58329" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ive got one for sale if you're interested
I'll sell it for £34 incl. postage

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=50610&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spence

The Bocar 30/31 copies have a poor reputation.

Several years ago a company called Brosol produced another Solex copy, the H 30/31 endorsed by Solex. I've run these carbs on 1500 and 1600sp engines for years with no problems at all. I have some NOS spares but don't really want to sell them. If you keep an eye on the forums and eBay you may be able to pick up a new one.

The Solex 30 that you have is basically a good carb. With some new bushes and a couple of spacers to sort the idle cam problem, it will go on for years to come. The accelerator pump is probably fine, but could do with a new diaphragm.

I ended up buying a Solex 30pict3 from Riverhaus.

I haven't ran it yet but it looks quality. Service was great and was only a little more expensive than a new Bocar for a refurbished original Solex.

13671821833_43d6fd83c3.jpg

Hey bluenose

Did you fit the refurbed carb? How did it work? I have spoken to kevin @ riverhaus too.

Which dizzy are you running with it, and did it tune up ok?

Cheers, sound like a few of having the same issues!

Had a vac signal issue with the first one but Kev sorted it without issue. Seems a good bloke and happy to support after sale

Latest posts