Advice on adjustable spring plates

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
Hi all just sat pondering. I have a 71 dorma and a few years ago i put on the rear 3” horse shoe plates so I could keep everything else standard as I have a really bad memory and it’s less for me to forget 👍. However it’s a nightmare to get the rear wheels off so I thought about putting adjustable spring plates on so......... what do I need to Buy to convert to spring plates and keep it lowered by 3” and would you buy new or get used ones any info would be brill many thanks

Hi Monty,

I recently put rear adjustable spring plates on. I bought them from Transporterhaus. I couldn't find anything second hand that was near enough or that looked reliable. I think they're about £225 and are well made. Like you it was a real pain to get the rears off, now they come off easily and I don't even have to adjust the spring plates. Adjusting them is really easy though, I recently raised the rear slightly. Check the year though the ones I got are for 68-71.

Cheers for the reply do you need new shockers and we’re yours to lower it by 3” as well. Cheers

montypsx said:
Cheers for the reply do you need new shockers and we’re yours to lower it by 3” as well. Cheers

Mine was already quite low, the PO had put 3" (at least) non-adjustable plates on and lowered it on the splines, this meant that it was difficult to get the back wheels off. With the adjustable SPs it's lower but the wheels come straight off. I think this is because the old SPs were at the bottom of their travel and when jacked up there was hardly any downward movement of the wheel and it didn't clear the arch sufficiently. Whereas now there's plenty of travel downwards when it's jacked up, so easier to remove the wheels. It all depends how it's set up I guess, my mechanic did mine.

Latest posts