Advice on Oil Leak Please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

videopig

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm new to EarlyBay.com (and forums generally) so apologies in advance for etiquette should I get things wrong.

I've had a few beetles over the years so am not that fussed about oil leaks on the whole.
However,,,I have a '71 Bay at the mo that throws oil into the right corner of the enginebay during a long (ish) run, say 3 to 4 hours down the motorway.
I had the engine out for a good look around and to replace the flywheel, oil cooler and seals and the crankshaft seal, etc buy still get a puddle of oil in that right corner following a motorway run.
I guess my concern is the drip down onto the exhaust.

Has anyone come across this before ??? Any advice please ???

Have you checked your oil pressure switch and dizzy seal? Perhaps look at the rocker cover gasket on that side too it might not be sealing on the upper portion although that is unlikely to make itself into the engine bay.
Any other pics of the engine bay?

Hey guy, thanks for the quick response,,,dizzy stem and oil pressure switch are both dry as a bone, nothing coming from there.
Rocker cover gaskets were replaced two years back so doubt its that either.

Its got me baffled man !!!
more pics as requested but they dont offer much

I would add that you need to ditch that glass fuel filter and also relocate it outside of the engine bay!
That's a fuel leak waiting to happen Dude.

Not wishing to put a downer on it but I had a similar thing and it turn4ed out to be a cracked case at the oil cooler mount. The fan blows the oil out of the tinware and all over the show. I could only detect it by starting the engine with no fan shroud fitted as I'd changed the cooler, seals etc several times and was losing it. It was also complicated by me getting 2 faulty oil coolers along the way... :shock: :evil:

An easy way to check your oil cooler without removing the engine is to jack it up so the weight is off the moustsche bar, remove the bar bolts and remove the moustache bar then lower the engine (still attached to gearbox) down enough so you can take the fan housing off. Done this a few times so I know it works.

looks like its get to the oilcooler/mount time again,
Suppose I've been waiting for a reason to drop the engine,,,got a few bits n bobs to do whilst she's out

Thanks everyone for your input,,,really appreciate it

mr scoops said:
I would add that you need to ditch that glass fuel filter and also relocate it outside of the engine bay!
That's a fuel leak waiting to happen Dude.
LOL,,,its already gone mate (its an old picture),,,thing dribbled fuel all down my lovely new teal paint,,,DOH :x

Latest posts