Advise from the pros please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornishSilver

Reaction score
I am after some advise please. I am totally new to the T2 scene and have zero Experience of them. All I know for sure is that I have a overwhelming desire to own one. I have tried ignoring this but it won't go away infact it's getting stronger. I have made the decision to sell my current T5 camper and go for it. Any body work restoration is well beyond my skill set and although I have not worked on any of my vehicles before I think I can manage most things on the idiot guide service thread. So to the advise, can you guys& girls tell me if this listing on eBay is ringing any alarm bells or does it look like a sensible choice for a 1st early. It's just within my budget with not much left if immediate problems arise. Here's the link http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-DORMOBILE-1971-Early-Bay-Camper-Van-Beautiful-All-Original-Stunning-/131793851661?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :beerchug:

Not a pro by any means however the best advice I can give you is when looking at an unknown bus take someone (or pay someone) with you to the viewing who knows what they are looking at.
Best money I have ever spent as they were able to cast an unemotional eye over the potential purchase and check all the known bad areas.
Saved me buying a proper rotter which as far as I can tell is now scrap!

When looking for a bus especially an EarlyBay you are in the right place - never buy shiny unless there is good photographic proof of the restoration work and if you get one from a fellow member there will be a decent history and hopefully a build thread of sorts.

Importantly budget - buses are much cheaper (relatively) in the winter months and much more expensive now. Can be the difference of a few grand!
Worth bearing in mind.

Finally - have you ever driven one? Might sound a little silly but they dont handle/brake or accelerate like modern vehicles and it can be a little of a shock if you havent tried it before. Ask me how I know!!

Bus in the ebay link looks nice but is expensive (in my opinion)

Cheers StuF. Just trying to do a bit of homework now. It was restored(sand blasted and sprayed) by Blast and die past, personally never heard of them but a quick search seems to be giving me good vibes. Never driven one, and was thinking to myself I hope I like it lol, sure i will. I think I've only done 4K on my T5 in 2 years so it's not going to be a daily runner by any means. I have to say I'm feeling nervous as I do like the T5, sure the nerves will go once/ if I do the deal

By all means get yourself to a couple of shows/events and chat to some fellow owners
You might get chance for someone to offer you a quick drive so you can experience what its like.

An alternative route to purchase is to buy a good dry state import bus from known sellers on here and have it completed to your own spec exactly how you want it. Atleast then you will end up with a vehicle that suits your needs and works for your requirements. If your looking at 19k buses you have a healthy budget.

Also you might want to explore the different interior options such as Westfalia ( :msn4: The Best :msn4: ) Dormobile, Devon and so on. Are you set on a pop top if so which type, are you after a walkthrough interior? The list of options is endless.

Spend loads of time looking at pics, exploring options and learning which models come with what - many dont have disk brakes on the front as standard, or servo'd brakes or even heating.

Hi I had a look at the advert you posted a link to and personally I wouldn't touch that bus, I will start with what I can see in the pics after less than 5 mins looking at them, taking into account the price and the statement that it is "one of the best early bays you will find"

Tail gate is a poor fit along with the engine lid.

Seal incorrectly fitted.

Engine lid seal not fitted and wires taped to it instead on fixed behind the tabs provided.
Air filter is a poor after market one that will loose performance.
Fuel filter in engine bay is bad practise.

The seam between the arch and the long panel looks almost non existent and will rot both panels out.

Also incorrect hub caps for those wheels

The rolled edge of the rear arch looks like it has filler in it, I would suggest it has a poor fitted repair panel that is rotting out from behind.

The description of this van highlights how little the owner knows about it and type 2s.

1. Unlikely to be sandblasted and if it is I would stay clear, sand holds moisture and will make it rot.
2.There is no such thing as a dynamo style alternator.
3.i assume he means a new fuel sender not a fuel gauge switch. He says it's not a big job... Well it is engine out, fuel tank out.

I do not meant to dampen your spirits but that chap is asking for big money for what is a crap bus.

I will happily look at any bus for you if it's not to far from me (Milton Keynes)

Buying from this sight is a good idea and there is certainly busses that are far far better for sale for less on this site

Cheers
Sam

I second what STuF says about the driving.

When I first got my bus, after only a very short test drive, I was appalled by the driving experience after being used to driving modern cars.

They are so different to drive that I suggest that you hire one for a day or weekend to see how you find them before laying out big-bucks

...Not a pro either - but for what it's worth I bought my bus in much the same situation as you are in - and I bought a right hand drive dormobile like this one, and love it, and if I was to do it again would go for
a rust free import. OK you're unlikely to find a RHD dormo (which in my humble opinion is the best combination), but rust is the killer, and no matter how well restored any rust repair will be a weak spot and a big cost
sometime in the future. A good import might not be so shiny, but you'll see what you're getting.

With all the defects Sam indicates above seen from photo's showing the best the bus has to offer, makes you wonder what you'd find if you dug a little deeper

To add to Sam's comments - the two plastic sky lights in the roof should be the same as each other (photo 7)

For that price you can pretty much take your pick of any EB....I wouldn't rush at this one....

chad said:
I second what STuF says about the driving.

When I first got my bus, after only a very short test drive, I was appalled by the driving experience after being used to driving modern cars.

They are so different to drive that I suggest that you hire one for a day or weekend to see how you find them before laying out big-bucks

so different but so much fun. still haven't stopped smiling every time i drive mine, but look in the for sale section on here there are some great honest enthusiasts and Pro restorers alike.

and do your home work before looking, i went for the westy because a 6 ft plus i wanted plenty of head room and a in top didnt cut it and i loved the storage and ease of use.

Theres some elements of the body and paintwork that would be putting me off. I'd expect that van to be looking pretty shabby in the near future.

The thick end of £20k would be better spent elsewhere, imo.

Well thanks for all the replies guys it's much appreciated, especially Sam's rip it apart post. I did wonder about the small gap in the seam and the look of the wheel arch. Glad I found this place :D I shall steer clear. If something comes up in your area Sam I may take you up on that offer and will obviously send a drink and good dub karma your way

I guess I'm in no major rush other than my T5 is going down in value where as a good bay is going the other way hopefully. It would be nice if I had the cash and could wAit for the perfect bus to come along but I can't sell mine due to camping holidays being booked up. It's a buy and sell In between trips unless I wait until December

I take on board what people are saying about driving one, I'm guessing the only thing I've driven that may be similar is an old army Land Rover 20 odd years ago.

The search continues...........

There are many a lovely dry import bus out there just needing to be turned into a silk purse!
Ours went from wreck to road fairly quickly and its been an awesome trip since!

As I said earlier - get yourself to some of the shows around, there are loads of us going to Dubs@TheCastle and we can show you round the various types
We are a friendly bunch and someone might even let you have a go!

Graham at Midland EarlyBay is great at finding people buses as well as getting them ready for the road although if your down Cornwall way maybe worth having a chat to Ben Lewis (Evil Bens) and see if he has any advice or potential buses for you to look at, he can certainly restore one to almost any imaginable budget!

Most RHD buses seem to turn out to be rubbish (including the one I bought from this forum). I'd get a lefty if I could go back 6 months.

Regarding RHD the parts are specific to it, e.g. Steering Box, Sliding Door & hinge etc. are massively more expensive than LHD parts as I know to my cost (sorry about the pun).

CornishSilver said:
It's a buy and sell In between trips unless I wait until December

That to me answers your question,

I would wait try and sell your t5 in September whilst theoretically the sun still shines and the prices are yet to start the winter drop, (if you have trips after September booked maybe hire an earlybay so you can experience it all for yourself before taking the plunge?)

Then you have the winter to purchase and get things fettled before hitting the season in style!

Around Christmas and the New Year busses are at their cheapest and you will get you best deal.

I would advise spending this year talking to every earlybay owner you meet at campsites and shows and soaking up as much info as you can.

I would also suggest going for a LHD dry state imported bus, will cause a lot less agro in the long run, mechanicals are far easier to deal with than bodywork and paint!

I wish you all the luck in your search!

Some real sound advise I'm getting here, great to get some levelheadedness thrown in amongst my impatience, lol. You guys have made me take a step back for sure. It does make perfect sense to wait until september, sell my van and buy a lefty import. I will check out and speak to the Evil guy in Cornwall and hopefully plan a project through the winter that will be ready for spring. God I wish I was on the ball and thought of joining here last september!!

I guess doing it myself I can get a Dormobile roof with a Westy interior?

Thanks again people :worship:

That`s part of the appeal as well,,, you could have a landrover interior if you really wanted one :lol: Some people want everything as stock as stock can be and as original as possible even down to the correct knobs on the cabinets, and others just want to keep them up and running and some want to make the interiors work how they want them and others want custom. The stock guys I think, will retain the most value but sometimes at eye watering cost, but mostly it`s about using them for me. Alex at Heritage is saying mostly what I`m thinking, and if you have never driven anything of this type, I think you might want to hire one for a week and have a little potter about in it. Yes you can drive at 60 to 70 mph sometimes but you really are murdering these old busses as they are much happier and longer lasting at 50 to 55 mph, even a little slower is nice to them, they require servicing more frequently as in Miles between services, they will break down because everything on them is forty plus years old and due for replacement , once it`s replaced it`ll break down more because a lot of the newer stuff as in pattern parts etc is just very poor quality, and rubbers is my biggest gripe, around ball joints etc etc etc :roll: But they have the added bonus of smiles per gallon which is priceless. So welcome to the site and prepare yourself for a lifetime of being skint ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But loving it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always enjoy it when someone says "it's not a difficult fix/job/whatever" in their advert. If it was simple enough to do why haven't they done it?

chad said:

Really? The first time I drove one I couldn't stop smiling and that's after driving nothing but an MX5 for 5 years, which is all about the handling. The 'casual' top speed (that doesn't seem to annoy other drivers, incredibly), the squeaks, the massive steering wheel, the braking distances, everything being manually controlled (no computers in sight!) the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide turning circles, the NOISE...After driving refined modern cars, that are designed to feel as though the car isn't really there at all, it's brilliant to be in charge of a big, lumbering machine. :D

ozziedog said:
That`s part of the appeal as well,,, you could have a landrover interior if you really wanted one :lol: Some people want everything as stock as stock can be and as original as possible even down to the correct knobs on the cabinets, and others just want to keep them up and running and some want to make the interiors work how they want them and others want custom. The stock guys I think, will retain the most value but sometimes at eye watering cost, but mostly it`s about using them for me. Alex at Heritage is saying mostly what I`m thinking, and if you have never driven anything of this type, I think you might want to hire one for a week and have a little potter about in it. Yes you can drive at 60 to 70 mph sometimes but you really are murdering these old busses as they are much happier and longer lasting at 50 to 55 mph, even a little slower is nice to them, they require servicing more frequently as in Miles between services, they will break down because everything on them is forty plus years old and due for replacement , once it`s replaced it`ll break down more because a lot of the newer stuff as in pattern parts etc is just very poor quality, and rubbers is my biggest gripe, around ball joints etc etc etc :roll: But they have the added bonus of smiles per gallon which is priceless. So welcome to the site and prepare yourself for a lifetime of being skint ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But loving it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Superb post OZ

I remember picking mine up back in 95 in the pouring rain
It thanked me for buying it on the way home ...... have a broken throttle cable!
It still dont like me now! :lol:

When I bought mine, I drove off and left the handbrake on (not my proudest moment), and was thinking god I know buses will be slow - but this slow, really, what have I bought !

It was only when I pulled into a garage to get some petrol and a couple of spilt drips sizzled off the rear hubcap I realised what I had done...

After that I was quite pleased with the performance - and not to have bbq'd it and self

We bought ours and stopped in at my sister's on the way home. When we left I tried to swing it round in the road but couldn't make it so needed to reverse. Couldn't find reverse so I had to get out and push it backwards a bit :) figured out later on that you have to press the stick down for reverse

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Latest posts