Advise from the pros please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm certainly no 'pro' either - this is my first VW, thought not my first 'classic' and I am (dare I say it) reasonaby competent mechanically and can have a reasonable stab at 'soft stuff' such as painting too...

But just to add my bit too, as it is fairly recent experience - we looked at plenty within a 50 mile radius, which appeared gorgeous, some with beautiful interiors and fantastic resprays, but chassis rails that were soft and sounded like they were full of cornflakes. In the end I bought one which was very shabby by the standards of what I had been looking at, but which was honest and straightforward, and critically was solid everywhere. But it had been lacquered, with terrible peel everywhere, and a battered interior - but as I say, it was honest and hadn't been tarted up. Oh, and a knackered engine - so I knew for sure that I would be replacing it, but at least I knew exactly where I stood, before we got stuck in.

I have spent a long while improving it cosmetically, inside and out, re-upholstery all round, - and yes - correct cupboard door handles ;-) , and fitting a new engine etc, replacing gear box seals and CV boots, and haven't found anything shocking along the way. I have opted for 'reasonably' original, though not totally religiously so, where subtle or 'period' mods have been available. The purchase price was £7k, and I've spent about the same on top over the last 18 months or so, though some of this was on 'accessories' which was discretionary - so it probably stands me at £13k or thereabouts.

(Mine is a very early 1968 bay Dormobile, RHD, incidentally, and by chance was one of the closest ones to home I looked at!)

If I'd bought the nice shiny one with a well written advert and matching bunting and cushion covers, I'd be finding all sorts of horrors by now such as the rotten chassis rails.

I suppose in summary, go in with your eyes open, see the bus yourself personally, and appreciate what you're taking on, and don't be fooled by the glitzy bits - try to look past them at the bits that really matter.

Good hunting, Rich

CornishSilver said:
I am after some advise please. I am totally new to the T2 scene and have zero Experience of them. All I know for sure is that I have a overwhelming desire to own one. I have tried ignoring this but it won't go away infact it's getting stronger. I have made the decision to sell my current T5 camper and go for it. Any body work restoration is well beyond my skill set and although I have not worked on any of my vehicles before I think I can manage most things on the idiot guide service thread. So to the advise, can you guys& girls tell me if this listing on eBay is ringing any alarm bells or does it look like a sensible choice for a 1st early. It's just within my budget with not much left if immediate problems arise. Here's the link http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-DORMOBILE-1971-Early-Bay-Camper-Van-Beautiful-All-Original-Stunning-/131793851661?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :beerchug:

I was in exactly the same boat as you about 16 months ago ... desperate to own one but not liking the price I was seeing, and what some folk had done to them.
In the end I picked up mine what I thought was a good price knowing full well that it was going to be a full restoration to how I wanted, plus that way you know your bus from inside out.
For me it's been a long journey (as was my first drive home) ... but when i look at her now i know it was well worth it ... I've spent plenty on her and agree that some of the aftermarket stuff isn't as good and won't last as long as the original stuff ... sometimes you need to spend that little bit extra on things ... the deluxe C&C seals are excellent trust me.
She'll be completely finished by end of June (Upholstery/Interior) then i'll update my thread, but have a read now, and you'll see what I mean

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a great import for sale on one of the facebook groups at the moment, think it's NOSvw that's got it for sale - about £6000 and will need a resto but at that price for a solid base, with a few months work it could be absolutely incredible and exactly how you want it!

Latest posts