Aftermarket Exhausts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
Recently bought a Early Bay Westfalia with a stock 1600 twin port engine and the stock exhaust and heat exchangers are on their way out. As I'm only going to be a fair weather camper I thought I might look into an after market exhaust as the heating isn't going to be very important, has anyone got any recommendations as to what to fit? I was thinking of something like a single quiet pack and a 4 into 1 header but I'm not sure if it will fit?

There are plenty of choices out there, depends how much you want to spend - a 4 into 1 header should still allow you to use heat exchangers a merged header probably wont unless you mess with it.

If you want something thats going to last then buy stainless steel - will work out a lot cheaper in the long run - bluebird custom, just kampers, vw speedshop & turbo thomas (& others) can all supply you with a stainless exhaust that will fit - prices do vary though ;)

You also need to consider what carb(s) you have now & whether you are likely to replace later as you will need pre-heat tubes for a stock carb.

You might want to think about some form of heating fella, damn cold at night at times driving back from the beach....

plenty of decent exhaust systems utilise the exchangers without strangling the flow....

A couple of suppliers above come out really well and some people slate them but the JK stainless gets very good press....

I have the JK stainless header, fits well and has pre heat pipes if you want to run standard carb.

If like me you have twin carbs then you just leave the pre heat pipes alone as they are not drilled out to start with. Then there is loads of choice for back boxes as it is a standard small flange fitting.

Cheers for the advice guys, in the end I've just decided to go for a new stock exhaust and heat exchangers as they were on speacial offer at vwheritage and machine7.

not wanting to hijack a thread, but are there any aftermarket exhausts that add an extra bit of oomph? I was thinking of that CSP Python but its big money really and I am not sure it would be worth it?

cheers

analord said:
not wanting to hijack a thread, but are there any aftermarket exhausts that add an extra bit of oomph? I was thinking of that CSP Python but its big money really and I am not sure it would be worth it?

cheers

A more free flowing exhaust than a stock one will help esp. if you are making other mods - but dont expect to turn your stocker into a rocket ship with an new exhaust - you can make it sound like one though ;)

Latest posts