Air cooled only show

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippi

Reaction score
There seems to be more watercooled and less aircooled attending shows as time goes by, which i guess is inevitable and wondered if there are any air cooled only shows about or if its a financial flop to be selective?

Ninove and EBI! ;)

In the UK? Volksworld is pretty much aircooled only and Brighton Breeze is close ... but generally it's a mix.

I have thought about this loads and have considered doing one. I hate being at an event like Volksworld and being next to a brand new T5 in a display! but that isnt strictly a air cooled only event.

The thought of an aircooled only would indeed work for sure, just need to get the capital and pick the best venue 8)

Who the heck looks at T5s anyway?

At Vanfest last year, the 60 buses on display representing each year of Type 2 production drew plenty of interest although the vast majority of that was in the splits and bays.

Costs and risk could be managed by piggy backing on or 'adopting' an existing smallish show? Or simply arranging a one day meet with optional camping?

I agree I think a air cooled only show would be awesome. I do like t4/5 but I don't like paying good money to go to a show and seeming so many of them there. May aswell go to tescos and see them! EBI was amazing such a awesome show they got it so right.

Lee

i think ebi and ninove are so good because its aircooled only.
the problem is people in the uk don't seem to turn up in the same numbers to british shows.

I dont mind being one of the small minded bigots ;) that has no interest in watercooled stuff at shows, but Ive heard of at least one show organiser that attempted to run an aircooled only event who received so much hassle and aggression from some water cooled attendees that eventually he pretty much had to open it up wider .... I really do suppose financially as well it doubles(?) attendance, exspecially in the 'surf bus*' scene.

*ex AA van with Audi alloys, bonnet bra, hawaiin lei and (v)Animal stickers :lol:

sparkywig said:
Clem said:
I dont mind being one of the small minded bigots ;) that has no interest in watercooled stuff at shows.

Nor me, I don't even look at late bays.....

Yea but I don't look at bays now full stop. As for T25's. :msn4:

Theres one a Paignton beach lawns that was air cooled only. Me for one like most on here gets fed up of seeing the builders vans. Saying that though at a local show a few weeks ago there was a cracking T5 done BT kerbisde customs? But that was an exception.
Even Brighton breeze last year was over run by modern vans.
Stanford Hall is great as they have a good mixture of everything sectioned off in their own little groups.

Think what bugs me is that the few times I've put my van into show and shine and my van is by no means is a fancy show van, a T4 or T5 has walked away with all the prizes. It just makes me think why do I bother now.
Oh god I'm getting all bitter and twisted now.

Ninove. they only let aircools into the town 8) think I did under £300 including crossing petrol and witkap :shock: cheap I'd say to say the road trip across Europe

I guess the problem is the insurance and costs that entail when organising shows, meaning as an organiser you need to attract as many people as possible to cover your costs, otherwise it could end up costing you a fortune. I would rather see a vintage/retro/rod show than sharing with modern VWs, deffinately more in common with these guys. The answer is an Aircooled camping weekend like Oktoberfest then (in theory) no added costs and a good guage or interest.

I have nothing at all against watercooled and like the mix at shows it just sometimes I kinda feel I would like to see just an aircooled only event once in a while, I feel theres a lot of us that feel the same and if it means a small show etc than so what.
Some of the best events i have been to are small, like van west was great untill it moved from sparkford and got bigger and lost its feel.

i think it should be a 1972 and earlier show :lol:

that should keep the riff raff out :p

i very rarely go to vw shows (when my bus is off the road / not finished) in my daily watercooled golf, firstly because I feel its a cop out and secondly it's just not the same

the show part of a show i dont mind,because its up to me if i look at the modern junk.

its the camping part that gets me.why dont they have a aircooled part and a water cooled part.???
if i have to camp next to another FAT cammo wearing nob that keeps telling me his T5 is the bolloks and my bay is small slow and naff i will go mad!!

you wouldnt co to a classic mercedes show in a vito...i rest my case..

air cooled shows would be great................they can all go and meet up at b&q or homebase. :D

Latest posts