New to the community

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any experience with this garage so can't offer any advise but we Bristol people use CJ Motors who is an expert with the old air cooled motors and will always tell you straight what is needed and what is not! But in all fairness its well worth doing the oil change yourself and learning how to adjust valves as these things are needed regularly and both aren't very difficult to do and it gives you great experience of how your motor works
Going along from this what he’s just been saying ^^^ It is definitely worthwhile considering the massive difference in service required from a new vehicle approx every 20 thousand miles to these old guys every 3 to 5 thousand miles and adjusting the brakes frequently but find a place that you can trust and as said @bove , I will only take mine down to Nick and the boys at CJ Motors. Another handy thing at Nicks is he’s a couple of hundred yards from the train station if you need to leave it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Keep smiling 🙂

Going along from this what he’s just been saying ^^^ It is definitely worthwhile considering the massive difference in service required from a new vehicle approx every 20 thousand miles to these old guys every 3 to 5 thousand miles and adjusting the brakes frequently but find a place that you can trust and as said @bove , I will only take mine down to Nick and the boys at CJ Motors. Another handy thing at Nicks is he’s a couple of hundred yards from the train station if you need to leave it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Keep smiling 🙂
I’ve just checked out CJ Motors and read countless good reviews.
I’ll definitely pay Nick and co a visit!
It’s so hard to find a trust worth, reliable garage.
Really appreciate the advice and recommendations here guys 👌

I’ve just checked out CJ Motors and read countless good reviews.
I’ll definitely pay Nick and co a visit!
It’s so hard to find a trust worth, reliable garage.
Really appreciate the advice and recommendations here guys 👌
Your only issue now is getting booked in. When you ring, perhaps mention the Earlybay.com and that Justin and Ozzie had in fact recommended him. You’ll feel at home once you’ve been there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,now you’ll be fine. :)

Your only issue now is getting booked in. When you ring, perhaps mention the Earlybay.com and that Justin and Ozzie had in fact recommended him. You’ll feel at home once you’ve been there.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,now you’ll be fine. :)
Just got off the phone to the guys at CJ Motors. Had a good chat about the bus and he recommended a full inspection before booking in for any type of service. That way we know what we’re dealing with and can prioritise repairs.
Managed to get booked for the beginning of August.

Once again.. thank you so much to everyone that has reached out with advice and recommendations.

Just got off the phone to the guys at CJ Motors. Had a good chat about the bus and he recommended a full inspection before booking in for any type of service. That way we know what we’re dealing with and can prioritise repairs.
Managed to get booked for the beginning of August.

Once again.. thank you so much to everyone that has reached out with advice and recommendations.
Excellent (y)

Yea, the previous owner said to only use premium petrol and nothing from a supermarket petrol station. He also gave me a bottle of additive to mix in each time I put 1/2 a tank in. Plus this type of oil (in pic) Does this all sound right?
Yes the air-cooled engine is designed to run on low grade fuel (2 star petrol) not readily available now. We are now expected to use E10 petrol which can contain up to 10 percent Ethanol. Fuel lines, carburettor and fuel-pump parts may be deteriorated by the Ethanol. The fuel additive reduces such problems and restores storage capability In general there is nothing wrong with supermarket fuel. Regarding engine oil the high zinc content is desired to minimize cam/tappet wear.

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to following your gallery thread.

I was a complete novice when I got my van 9 yrs ago. The knowledge and support on this forum has helped me immensely. They’re great vans to work on and I’m still grinning from ear to ear each time I’m behind the wheel 👍

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to following your gallery thread.

I was a complete novice when I got my van 9 yrs ago. The knowledge and support on this forum has helped me immensely. They’re great vans to work on and I’m still grinning from ear to ear each time I’m behind the wheel 👍
Thanks.
Yea, I’ve gained a wealth of knowledge and I’ve only been on here about a week or so.

Pictures of the bus will be up on the gallery soon!

Yes the air-cooled engine is designed to run on low grade fuel (2 star petrol) not readily available now. We are now expected to use E10 petrol which can contain up to 10 percent Ethanol. Fuel lines, carburettor and fuel-pump parts may be deteriorated by the Ethanol. The fuel additive reduces such problems and restores storage capability In general there is nothing wrong with supermarket fuel. Regarding engine oil the high zinc content is desired to minimize cam/tappet wear.
Thanks David. Great explanation and the confirmation I needed.

Latest posts