All things fuel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel
So it turns out that my mechanical fuel pump needs replacing as one of the brass barbs came off with the pipe and I'm not taking any chances with a repair.

So a friend of mine suggested an electronic fuel pump. So I've spent a couple of hours researching stuff but I still have questions.

I have twin Solex 32 PDSIT-3's (I think).
What pressure should be provided to these?

I've uncovered lots of options and want to get some opinions.

Pump
1) Huco. Comes in both a push (near tank) and a pull (in engine bay). Any preferences?
2) Weber low pressure pump
3) CB Rotary pump. Mixed reviews. Lots of people reckon it's the dogs danglies but a few people have had them fail a bit too quick.
4) One of those "bog standard" facet ones (I think EMPI do them, among others)?

Blockoff: lots of choices. Is there really any difference?

Regulator
1) Filter king regulator. Looks like a good piece of kit and gets good reviews. Is it overkill?
2) SSP jobby...
3) Cheap chromey ones. Cheap and cheerful or problem waiting to happen?

Fuel Lines
It looks like 5.6mm is the ideal size. However I've noticed a couple of suppliers offering 5mm ID. Will this be too tight over the 6mm connections?

The hard line that goes through the firewall: I assume copper/ cunifer pipe will be alright?
Other option: widen the hole so that I don't need a hard line. Still shove a bigger grommet in the hole and probably put some cable conduit around the fuel line at that point for added security. Less joins sound good to me. What do you think?

I think that's all the questions that my brain has been able to hold on to.

All and any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
George

Bump :msn4:
Would love to get some stuff ordered today - any advice appreciated!

Leaning away from the FK now as I think it's a bit too big for my engine bay

I'm running o.g rebuilt std pumps, sytec 20odd quid regulators and 5.6mm /8mm fuel hose on both my engines with no issues after several years, have got a cb pump to fit when I get time though for the 2.1 camper engine or as and when the o.g pump goes poop.

Def get a Huco pump. They are regulated to 3.5 psi so you don't need a reg.
mine sits in engine bay under extinguisher.
Had cb but it broke.

Huco suction pump mounted in the engine bay, use a Durite fuel solenoid and also fit an inertia cut off switch to kill the pump in a shunt.

amuteryn.jpg

pyqepyqe.jpg

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Bloody work. I've had to melt my credit card booking last minute travel and hotel so might have to rethink.
Am planning to do the work on Saturday and won't be able to claim stuff back until the end of the month.
Will price stuff up tonight but might have to hold off a short while for the electric kit and go for a cheap mech pump after all :msn4:

I am still interested in further opinions :)

@jonboy My carbs have their own cut off solenoids - do I really need another (albeit much further down the line)? I assume the inertia cut-off switch is the black thing in the second picture... would something as cheap and cheerful as this do the trick?

The switch will work fine, try to get the connector with a pigtail attached. Wire the +ve from ignition feed to one side, the other should feed the pump and solenoid.

Cutoff should be as close to the tank as possible, so that any issues with the connectors or pipes etc the solenoid will cut the fuel supply.

I'll pm you an additional bit if info.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

This engine is proving to be a royal pain. Went down to the van last night to check a couple of things and realised that I've got a dynamo pump where I should have an alternator. That means that the bugger just isn't going to come off without removing the alternator (and fanshround, etc)...

Engine out on Saturday it would seem!

gvee said:
Toad said:
My opinion...just get a new (decent quality) standard pump. :D
Does such a thing exist? :lol:

Yes, Top Quality Fuel Pump (like the original style ones):

Dynamo:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fuel-Pump-T1-T2-1-2-1-6-For-Dynamo-Rod-Best-Quality-113127025D_act_shop.product_pID_123425441_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=2&crumbStartRow=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternator:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fuel-Pump-T1-T2-1-2-1-6-For-Alternator-Rod-Best-Quality-113127025F_act_shop.product_pID_123429393_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can you remove the pump by removing the studs? It might mean getting a couple of very slim nuts (or carefully cutting one in half) but it might do the trick...

I ended up having to remove the alternator and fanshroud as part of the tear down and have pinched the pump off my other engine for now.

Not ideal but it will have to do for now. At least when it comes to changing to electric I will be able to do so without having to drop the engine!

Latest posts