Fuel pump identification? How to strip?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Bay-less
Van Type
Nothing yet
Pretty sure my fuel pump is not working.... It's got a good supply to it and doesn't output when the engine is turned over... The bus has been sat for a couple of months but ran fine before.

Do I buy a decent quality replacement (is there one?) or do I buy a rebuild kit? Doing my research it sounds like the quality of both options is questionable these days. My existing pump looks to be OEM.

Pretty sure my fuel pump is not working.... It's got a good supply to it and doesn't output when the engine is turned over... The bus has been sat for a couple of months but ran fine before.

Do I buy a decent quality replacement (is there one?) or do I buy a rebuild kit? Doing my research it sounds like the quality of both options is questionable these days. My existing pump looks to be OEM.
I rebuilt mine. Did leak initially but sorted it. Kit was E10 friendly. 🌈👍

Hiya, you got an idea how to do a pressure check with a water bottle bud?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,gives you a great starting point :)
I don't know this, I'll do a Google about it, but if there's literally nothing coming out of the back side of the pump after 10 engine cranks will it give me any extra info?
Sounds like a techniqueI want to know about anyway though

Ok , take the pipe off your carb or your splitter / T piece if you’ve got twin carbs. Get a dry empty 1, 1.5, 2.0 litre water bottle on its side and hold your fuel pipe about an inch into the bottle. Get your glamorous assistant to turn the key and crank it over for a rrrr rrrr rrrr and you should see the fuel squirting in pulses almost to the bottom of the bottle. Might be a good idea to disable your ignition circuit beforehand :) If you get a good squirt almost to the bottom of the bottle like a fourteen year old on a first date, then you has decent pressure. If it don’t, then you know to track backwards from there. A mechanical fuel pump can be made to suck and blow by hand after removal. Keep checking your pipes by blowin* through. Use a straw as it tastes better than petrol.

Ozziedog,,,,,,not nice ,,, a gobfull of petrol :)

Ok , take the pipe off your carb or your splitter / T piece if you’ve got twin carbs. Get a dry empty 1, 1.5, 2.0 litre water bottle on its side and hold your fuel pipe about an inch into the bottle. Get your glamorous assistant to turn the key and crank it over for a rrrr rrrr rrrr and you should see the fuel squirting in pulses almost to the bottom of the bottle. Might be a good idea to disable your ignition circuit beforehand :) If you get a good squirt almost to the bottom of the bottle like a fourteen year old on a first date, then you has decent pressure. If it don’t, then you know to track backwards from there. A mechanical fuel pump can be made to suck and blow by hand after removal. Keep checking your pipes by blowin* through. Use a straw as it tastes better than petrol.

Ozziedog,,,,,,not nice ,,, a gobfull of petrol :)
Ah, nice one.... Kind of been through that procedure with slightly different equipment.

No squirty action at all coming out of the pump. If I pop the inlet pipe off the pump I get fuel flowing as the tank fuel level must be higher than the level of the pump so no blockage there.
Pretty sure it's the pump and I think I'll go for a rebuild kit, seems a shame to not use the original part

Ah, nice one.... Kind of been through that procedure with slightly different equipment.

No squirty action at all coming out of the pump. If I pop the inlet pipe off the pump I get fuel flowing as the tank fuel level must be higher than the level of the pump so no blockage there.
Pretty sure it's the pump and I think I'll go for a rebuild kit, seems a shame to not use the original part
Before you go for the rebuild kit, just check if the pump will pump by itself by taking it off and fingering the pump and you should feel a little suck and blow. Another thing that can wear is the pump push rod if it’s mechanical..

Ozziedog,,,,,,,ive bought a few things unnecessarily .

Before you go for the rebuild kit, just check if the pump will pump by itself by taking it off and fingering the pump and you should feel a little suck and blow. Another thing that can wear is the pump push rod if it’s mechanical..

Ozziedog,,,,,,,ive bought a few things unnecessarily .
Cheers for the tip, I'll take it off and see before buying stuff

Anything rubbery I always go Schofields. Don’t over tighten the top screw for cap as thread will strip 😳

Changed the thread title as I have decided I would like to buy a rebuild kit but and struggling to see how to strip this pump down...
It's a single screw to remove the top dome and reveal the internal filter but I can't figure how to get to the diaphragm and other internal workings.
I can see how to get to the rocker lever and the parts operated by the push rod but that does seems to be working ok, I'll strip it if/when I buy a kit anyways... I hear sucking noises when I operate the mechanism and feel a slight sucking on the inlet but it's deffo not pushing fuel through when attached to the engine, I'm guessing the diaphragm is perished or damaged in some way

If anyone has stripped down this type and can point me to the next step I would be very grateful!

Ta!

Attachments

• PXL_20240408_201410905.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240408_201410905.MP.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240408_201348773.jpg
    PXL_20240408_201348773.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Changed the thread title as I have decided I would like to buy a rebuild kit but and struggling to see how to strip this pump down...
It's a single screw to remove the top dome and reveal the internal filter but I can't figure how to get to the diaphragm and other internal workings.
I can see how to get to the rocker lever and the parts operated by the push rod but that does seems to be working ok, I'll strip it if/when I buy a kit anyways... I hear sucking noises when I operate the mechanism and feel a slight sucking on the inlet but it's deffo not pushing fuel through when attached to the engine, I'm guessing the diaphragm is perished or damaged in some way

If anyone has stripped down this type and can point me to the next step I would be very grateful!

Ta!
Not sure that’s an original fuel pump. I may be wrong. 🤔

Not sure that’s an original fuel pump. I may be wrong. 🤔
It's stamped VW and Peierberg, you can see it if you zoom in on the first pic, but yeah, I can't find any reference to a refurb kit or anyone having stripped one like this.... The single screw dome type looks like they more commonly came with a screw in input any this is push on....
I'll just have to order the best quality one I can, Schofields do one that's regulable and looks more solid than the cheap cheap stuff

Ta!

That's the type of pump that was on the AD-Series, twin-port, VW 1600 Type 2 engine, of my family's 1973 model-year (manufactured in late-August or early-September 1972) VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental.

That's the type of pump that was on the AD-Series, twin-port, VW 1600 Type 2 engine, of my family's 1973 model-year (manufactured in late-August or early-September 1972) VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental.
It deffo looks like a VW part so I presume it's from a short period..... The cap containing the diaphragm looks to be pressed on rather than screwed so don't think it's serviceable.. I've ordered the best replacement I can find

She lives!
Thanks for advice everyone. My existing pump, while an original VW part, wasn't able to be serviced so I ordered the best quality I've I could find... From Alan Schofields and we are up and running.
The new pump was slightly taller so I had to change a bolt holding the carb on the manifold... There's always a suprise!!
At least we're running! I just need rear seating and a full trim and we're ready for the summer!

Latest posts