Andyo11's 1969 Kombi - Shortys Old Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shorty said:
Slamwerks done good!

1B7FA689-50E2-4878-B74C-C55757D1FF3A-4361-000001CE31499598.jpg

I'd never noticed the sunburn face until this shot!!... very cool.
looking forward to this build. 8)

dubscum said:
the paint on your bus is lovely, had a good look round it yesterday :D

I had a good look round both your buses yesterday! :cool:

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

I've been trying my hand at something new today...

As shown earlier in this thread I bought a pair of Westy Louvred Windows to go in my bus, the jury has been out, and to an extent still is about whether I'll fit them or not.

Either way I wasn't happy with how they looked, and I think this is what's putting me off, so I bought a metal polishing kit from amazon, and, having never done anything like this before, took myself out to the garage and had a go..

I've only done the initial cut, but I'm happy with the results so far...

I do need to get the right tool for doing the intricate bits.. but hey, you gotta start somewhere right!

I bought this kit.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Max-Aluminium-Brass-Metal-Polishing/dp/B0050HW88K/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1359916674&sr=8-37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are the results so far, like I said, this isn't finished, this is just after the first cut..

Before:

67DFBBAA-4259-40ED-B0A6-1454CE203E09-372-00000015942A4875.jpg

After: (approx 2 hours work)

73FC4C2F-EF41-40BD-8ECA-9845E9E4584F-372-0000001599BACD0F.jpg

Holy Shit. Thats what I call a transformation 8)

This is a job I have to do in the not to distant future as well. I also have to replace all the seals so was thinking to dismantle it all before polishing. Do you think this would be a good idea and make polishing easier, or not?

yachty said:
Holy Shit. Thats what I call a transformation 8)

This is a job I have to do in the not to distant future as well. I also have to replace all the seals so was thinking to dismantle it all before polishing. Do you think this would be a good idea and make polishing easier, or not?

um.. difficult to say really.. if you're gonna polish every nook and cranny then probably do it dismantled.. I gotta have mine ready by the end of this week, so am gonna do the best I can with it assembled...

I've also been looking into seal kits.. although mine look like they might last a little while longer..

check this link out..http://www.status-vw.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/p917.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking at doing this in the next few weeks, been looking at polishing kits but not sure what to use for the nooks and crannys, any ideas?

I've got a friend at work who does a lot of this sort of thing.. I'm gonna talk to him tomorrow.. I'll post here when I'v got a plan!

I've got a Black & Decker dremel style tool I'm thinking about using.....

I've just bought a polishing kit from eBay for £10 which includes felt polishing heads ranging from 75mm to 5mm, they should be small enough to get into the littles areas surely?

yachty said:
Those felt polishing heads are what you are supposed to use for the fiddly bits but I've never gotten the hang of them.
I can never get the same finish with them as I do with the wheels :?

That's my problem.. Never got on with the little felts..

So is it worth buying a bigger polishing wheel to do the bulk of the job then use the felts for the awkward bits do you think? I take it you need a head for cutting and another for polishing?

Definitely mate. Something like the kit Shorty linked to up above will do the majority in double quick time. You'll be there forever using the felts for it all!

You get 3 wheels, coarse, polishing, finishing and 2 bars of polish one is coarse, the other for polishing and then you use the lime dust for finishing.

Bigbear said:
So is it worth buying a bigger polishing wheel to do the bulk of the job then use the felts for the awkward bits do you think? I take it you need a head for cutting and another for polishing?

This is how I'm doing it.. Check out the Amazon link in my thread above.. That's the only thing I've used so far.. Just one of the three wheels and only the brown compound so far.. The contents of the kit will bring it up to a mirror finish if you want that...

Shorty said:
Bigbear said:

This is how I'm doing it.. Check out the Amazon link in my thread above.. That's the only thing I've used so far.. Just one of the three wheels and only the brown compound so far.. The contents of the kit will bring it up to a mirror finish if you want that...

Wow I do wish I wouldn't keep talking myself into these jobs!! Are you going to use anything to protect it once its finished?

yachty said:
Once you've got it bling, just keep on top of it with autosol or something before it dulls off again.

Don't lacquer it. Lacquer will chip and fall off and then you'll end up having to strip the whole thing again. Not good :D

Yes, that's a good point...

Latest posts