Another 71' Westy makes it over here!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A caliper that I did a refurb on (was part seized):

Here you can see the mess inside

516878.jpg

All cleaned up

516879.jpg

Light smear of rubber grease, ready to be assembled

516880.jpg

Gareth

Nice attention to detail, well worth it and will pay off 8) :wink:

Bought a badge to put on a while back, a mate blasted it and its come up in reasonable condition, got some pitting but hey its old!

523957.jpg

523958.jpg

523959.jpg

Its not actually in Pastel white, but i thought i'd put some top coat on I had, i'll get hold of the right colour to finish it off.

Gareth

Nice car and nice job done on refurbing the interior.

Maybe you can take a few pics and measurements of the sink unit?

Cheers
Knut

Ok the height is 84.5 cm, the width is 46.4 cm and depth is 51.6 cm (this is without the spice rack on the side)

cyberdyne systems said:
Ok the height is 84.5 cm, the width is 46.4 cm and depth is 51.6 cm (this is without the spice rack on the side)

Thanks. This cabinet is missing in my car

Knut

Decided to fit front badge to see how it looks - think a van looks odd without one.

524706.jpg

524707.jpg

Neither the badge or front panel are the right colour (apart from the grill)

Went for an 'early' camping trip on the weekend, with the mrs :makeout:

528915.jpg

528916.jpg

Poor quality phone pics, but you get the idea! :tongue0013:

Been working on the van on off, nothing much to report but here's some pictures:

How it looked (second one after I fitted the badge)
494533.jpg

543290.jpg

Two close ups of the wavy filler work :roll:

543291.jpg

543292.jpg

Part way through getting it straighter:
543293.jpg

543294.jpg

Close but needs some more working on :evil:

Not done an awful lot to the interior yet, think i might have a lead on the rear ceiling shelf, but it will need all pulling out and new side panels and roof bits and floor, and a couple of westy handles needed. camped again for the wheels show and it was great.

Need to sort out my poptop so my daughter can sleep up there, canvas is ripped and tent has seen better days. Servo job is the next thing though.

Gareth

Tried painting the front today with a mate, didn't really have the right conditions or enough paint! So i'll rub this down and we'll lay on some more on soon.

A final repair was to the holes left behind when an aerial was removed:

550429.jpg

550430.jpg

550431.jpg

And as it looks after one coat:

550428.jpg

An update:

Rubbed down the front and painted it again, also blasted my grill and painted that too, just the bumper left! Also got round to fitting the late servo and new MC, just a little grinding of the beam captive nut and all was pretty straight forward.

So i've gone from:

524706.jpg

To this! :

561066.jpg

Servo/MC :

Note the clearance on the earlier servo
561068.jpg

New and Old
561069.jpg

Trial fit reveals clearance issue
561070.jpg

A little grinding later
561071.jpg

And with new MC attached
561073.jpg

Made some more progress, preparing front bumper for paint, blasted the removable parts and paint stripped, wire wheeled centre part, and...

Got me some lowering action! Bought dropped spindles from T2D and fitted them yesterday, still have to drop the back down, but its looking good, pictures a bit crap as they are from my phone, batteries dead on camera!

570648.jpg

570649.jpg

570650.jpg

570651.jpg

570652.jpg

570653.jpg

570654.jpg

Brilliant, did you find it hard to get the spindles on the arms, I know I did after I narrowed my beam. Mind you I had the brakes still attached. :oops:

Yeah it was tricking trying to line it all up to get both balljoints to insert into the spindle, but eventually figured it out! Just been looking at the rear, never touched a double jointed axle, my manual says I need to remove the axle, but i don't have a splined tool to undo it, though i will need to as one of the gaiters needs doing! :roll:

Research is in order I think :lol:

Ok I realised I would have just enough room to move the hub and drive shaft to get the spring plate off and reset it one spline so here it is (excuse the continuing poor quality images, this was at dusk too!):

I hadn't moved the van when I took these, after i did it settled more at the back and looks really good, just need to do my tracking and its ready to go!

570823.jpg

570824.jpg

570825.jpg

Latest posts