Another 71' Westy makes it over here!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for the comments! As for the dropped spindles, i'm running 165/55 15 tyres, now my beam can hit the floor on bad surfaces when i have two up front. I've got some adjustable uprated shocks now though, not been out on the road yet to test it as i'm preparing it for an MOT (just a CV boot to go!). I intend to clearance the beam end plates too, think it will be fine after that.

Where abouts are with regard to the poptop?

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

I'm still in the purchasing phase. Getting an Early poptop. I can drive to your gaf with it, if you're cool with that and willing to give me a hand cutting the roof hole, etc.

cyberdyne systems said:
5572_1118492135880_1634325646_270928_3594825_n.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but are these MWS, the real deal or another make?

Cool van by the way 8)

mychatype3 said:
Nice westy, keep up the good work.

Are those 4,5x15 up front? Is your beam a original beam? (not narrowed)

Greetings mycha

Yeah thats right on both your questions

Greetings back :D

vanagonman said:
Hi Gareth,

I'm still in the purchasing phase. Getting an Early poptop. I can drive to your gaf with it, if you're cool with that and willing to give me a hand cutting the roof hole, etc.

pm sent vanagonman

61 stu said:
cyberdyne systems said:

Excuse my ignorance but are these MWS, the real deal or another make?

Cool van by the way 8)

These are SSP ones, the only thing i don't like is you can't use genuine porsche wheel nuts because the lug hole is slightly smaller than genuine wheels, there is also a kind of recess at the lug hole, I think the Flat 4 ones don't have this issue, having detailed them you can't really see the recess, and once i paint the nuts they will look close to a genuine set.

I have a new canvas i need to fit, any hints / tips, how did you go about it.

Do you need to remove the roof??

Where do you start, where do you attach first Top or Bottom???

Turkish said:
I have a new canvas i need to fit, any hints / tips, how did you go about it.

Do you need to remove the roof??

Where do you start, where do you attach first Top or Bottom???

If you do it the proper way you take off the poptop, and by fitting the canvas you do it in such a way as to hide the molding strip, then refit the poptop and secure the lower part to the roof, it will probably be slightly baggy this way. The way I did it was to attach to the roof first and the lift it up to the poptop and staple it, this way you can remove any excess material.

Gareth

Small update, got myself some new kick panels

Before:
KickPanels001.jpg

After:
KickPanels009.jpg

Also did cv boots on one side, got old carb and manifold off to fit the correct one, just dodging the rain at the moment!

Well it was MOT'd recently, and I set about putting the correct aircleaner back in. The previous owner had cut off the stand so I had to weld another one in. Also I was putting on my stainless muffler which was a bus one I had fitted on my beetle.

Exhaust012.jpg

Exhaust011.jpg

Vanexhaust001.jpg

Vanexhaust002.jpg

Vanexhaust003.jpg

Vanexhaust005.jpg

Hello, really nice bus and amazing work on sortin the front panel.

What type of exhaust manifold do you have fitted and will it connect to the standard heat exchangers and pre-heaters?
I would like to get similar backbox but want to keep the heaters.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi, thanks for the comments.

That muffler will fit on a bugpack 4 - 1 header, which still connects to the heat exchangers and manifold heat risers, i think it maybe possible to get a stainless version, not sure where right now though :lol:

Gareth

Back from Volksworld show, got these side markers - not as nice as some nos ones I saw, but at £70 i couldn't justify it.

VolksWorld2010052.jpg

Before:
VolksWorld2010053.jpg

After:
VolksWorld2010055.jpg

VolksWorld2010054.jpg

VolksWorld2010056.jpg

VolksWorld2010057.jpg

VolksWorld2010062.jpg

VolksWorld2010059.jpg

VolksWorld2010061.jpg

Picked up some horse shoe plates to get the rear down a tad more. Ordered TMI seat covers and door cards, and got a template off Panelvan to cut down a tintop ceiling shelf to fit. All in all a good show :D

Hi Gareth just checked your thread out and I'm loving all the work you've done on your bus. Good to meet up yesterday, look forward to seeing the picture.

Cheers

Dave.

Thanks Dave, good to meet you too and thanks for bringing the plates there for me. I shall make sure I capture the installation of the horse shoe plates when i have time to fit them (weekend after Easter - weather permitting!)

Gareth

I have now fitted horseshoe plates on the rear.

Here are the plates ready to go on:

Horseshoeplates004.jpg

But first this is how it looked before on one spline drop:

Horseshoeplates001.jpg

Horseshoeplates002.jpg

Horseshoeplates003.jpg

Before I can bolt them on I have to raise the rear up by one spline to its original height:

Horseshoeplates008.jpg

Here you can see the plate installed:

Horseshoeplates009.jpg

And this one shows the hole for the handbrake cable to route through the spring plate (this was a bitch of a job to drill...or maybe my bits were too worn!)

Horseshoeplates015.jpg

And some after pictures - its probably about and inch or so lower and the wheels sit with less camber than before:

Horseshoeplates016.jpg

Horseshoeplates017.jpg

Horseshoeplates020.jpg

Horseshoeplates021.jpg

Latest posts