Another newbie from the north

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulG

Reaction score
Hello all, I just thought I'd come and check out the forum as I was told about this by Martin (Tintop) this morning. My names Paul, I work in Leeds and I've just moved to Wakefield. I'm from Bradford and lived in Leeds (Yeadon) for a bit so anyone around that end may have seen me in my camper at some point.

I'm more into watercooled VW's to be honest :oops: as I've also got a mk1 Golf cabriolet (no hairdresser jokes please :p ) and a Golf Rallye, but my weekend show vehicle is a restored 1971 Bay window camper with arguably the biggest front brakes seen on a camper. :wink: They are for show rather than go as it's running a 1641 engine. I didn't restore it by the way I bought it like this as I'm more into driving than fixing. Anyway, enough of my waffle and here are some pics, apologies if they're too big.

Below are from VW Action 2004 when I bought it.

Camper3.jpg

Camper2.jpg

Camper1.jpg

As seen at Harewood house this year, but I was parked on the golfgti.co.uk stand. :wink:

camper-vwfestival2006.jpg

...and last but not least, the big brakes. :)

CamperBrakes.jpg

Nice dormy dude, welcome to the forum and you are right they are indee big brakes! 8)

Well nice van!
Love the wheels too!
Is the interior orig (noticed the drivers seat looks non-standard :p )

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome everyone. :D

To answer a few questions, yup Martin (Tintop) after you told me about it this morning I thought I'd pop in and take a look, cool site.

As you've probably guessed it's not the standard interior, I believe that the drivers seat is an old Porsche seat from a 944 I think. The bed is not R & R, not sure what they were like as standard, but the seat folds up and across one of the surfaces so the bed is at the same level as the back hatch window. The dad of the lad I bought it from is a trimmer so it's been done out very well. I haven't got any pics of the interior at the moment and I'm unable to get them as my friendly neighbourhood garage are looking after it in the back of their unit, a very friendly gesture you may say, but with three vehicles to fix and maintan, the youngest one being 15 years old, they do get quite a bit of business from me. :shock:

'ey up

welcome t' forum ;)

tidy van, but is it blue or green?!

Sounds like the bed is original as most Dormies double beds slide across!

Hi ya that's a cool looking van and those brakes are just awesome, bet it stops on sixpense with those. I'll look out for ya as I'm just down the road from you in South Kirkby.

baron said:
tidy van, but is it blue or green?!

Turquoisyish ! :) But I'd say more blue than green.

Tintop said:
I might have some pictures of your interior somewhere, will check.

Cheers Martin, see if you took any.

Sucram, if you see me around Wakefield/Horbury I'll be in one of my water pumpers as I tend to just use my camper through the "nicer" months. :) Yes it does stop very well though. :wink:

Once again everyone, thanks for the welcome. :)

Latest posts