any advice on engine/gearbox raise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackmcgannay

Reaction score
engine gearbox and tank are out of my 68 bay... there is a pivot point where the gearbox joins the tube that runs the length of the van...it seems to me that if i raised the engine mounts a few inches then the gearbox would pivot and all would be good!?

raising the gearbox at the pivot end may be more difficult? - looks like i could notch a small amount out of cargo floor?

the engine support bar could have sections cut out say 2" sections then welded back together - effectively raising the engine?

this is at a glance as i'm stripping engine and rear susp after engine fire so still got a week or so till engine/gearbox goes back in...
have searched endlessly for tips on how to raise both but with no luck

i knoe t2d do an engine raise but for 600 quid i'd rather give it a go myself - if anyones got any idea's or seen one done etc then please share the wealth!

thanks

Gear linkage?

Space for air filter on carb?

If you need to do those mods / mess with the chassis do you have any suspension travel left and have you though about what happens to the handling of a vehicle without suspension?

i want to go low..really low but do it properly and not mess up my bus...would have thought that even someone who doesn't like slammed busses would approve of doing it properly?
nice one for the link mate..i've sent him a pm asking for some info
thanks

Yes, and the job looks good but I can't see he has any suspension

I'm all for modding cars but just can't get my head around people dropping their vehicles so they are basically sitting on the floor -that is that hydro's are for (parked up)

did you see the bromsgrove auto trimmers karmann ghia? the engine and box were raised 4 inchs!!!!

An advantage of an engine & box raise as well as improved ground clearance that many don't realise is that it puts the cv joints and driveshafts back straight instead of being at a servere angle which increases wear.

Latest posts