Any call for traditional signwriting..?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDL69

Reaction score
Just putting some feelers out at the moment and wondered if there is a call/need for traditional signwriting on buses/vans.

I did an apprenticeship as a signwriter (back in the day) and even worked on the Royal Yacht Britannia. After completing my apprenticeship I decided on a change of career to become a teacher. About 6 years ago I decided to venture back into the sign trade and bought a vinyl cutter and run a very small business from home as a side line, even though I have kept my hand in on traditional signwriting.

It's really encouraging to see buses with original signwriting around today (e.g. citrus bus) but is there a call for signwriting on buses today..?

Any thoughts..? :)

You only have to look at the work Prosign (Neil Melliard) are doing to see that there is a demand for traditional signwriting, he does both old school signwriting and vinyl.

If you want to see his work follow him on his blog at http://prosign.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes.......

...can you do Bob Masse/Filmore/Family dog...esque stuff or are we talking propa trad stuff...in which case still yes

:mrgreen:

mjknight71 said:
yes.......

...can you do Bob Masse/Filmore/Family dog...esque stuff or are we talking propa trad stuff...in which case still yes

Hi MJ,

I have done some stuff similar to Masse previously. Some of Masse's work is inspired my Mucha, some of which I have reproduced (but not recently). More recently I have produced traditional signage for customers. I fancied getting into pinsriping a while back and went to a weekend training session with Neil Melliard, but for me pinstriping requires a lot of practice, still something I would love to practice but I have to admit that there are some real professionals out there (Neil included) who have been doing this for a living for years.

Maybe could start a thread on examples of signwriting on vans.
:D

i would love something like the type 2 detectives on mine.....
just dunno if it would look right as mine is a light coloured bus....

tumblr_lj0irf5rp41qek4sg

schweeeet!

if i decide to go freelance then i would actually have something top advertise as well!!! :mrgreen:

i agree with the pinstriping comments too.... i did a course and got on really well... but its the practise you need and if you dont have rides to practise on then doing it at an easel on plastic coated card doesnt really cut the mustard does it?!?

SDL69 said:
mjknight71 said:
yes.......

Hi MJ,

I have done some stuff similar to Masse previously. Some of Masse's work is inspired my Mucha, some of which I have reproduced (but not recently). :D

now your talking........it is probably a year away but toying with the idea of getting someone to 'do something' on my splitty...currently chipping back to og paint and buying expensive parts for it but...........short lower sides/corners and lower nose are the likely areas.....

......but yes Mucha's art nouveau.....1960s hippy style is the idea.....stylised peacocks....into womens hair mixed with geometric boarders......flying eyes....mixed with Love and Peace 8)

Sounds like a cool idea MJ, I would probably use an airbrush as well as traditional painting, which reminds me I must get a new airbrsh.

I have done stuff like the type 2 detectives van before and managed to make it look 'ratty/patina'd' by rubbing it back with some very fine grade wet and dry paper afterwards. Black or dark brown or green lettering looks cool on a light coloured bus, it's down to personal taste I suppose.

I did a job lot of stickers for 'House of Dub' and occasioanlly get asked to replenish their stock so they can give them out to their members and others customers. Thiinking of designing some of my own stickers and selling them on ebay or at VW show - I know there are others doing it, but I have sme of my own designs ready to cut.
When they are done I'll post a link here if that's ok with the governors. :D

Latest posts