Sometimes its hard to take yet another knock back ....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotswoldiver

Reaction score
First bus, 1969 bought via ebay off a trader who dealt mainly in buses from SA - (no longer trading he's adds very quickly) I didn't know enough and was seduced by the joy of buying my first bus for the family to enjoy, costs would have escalated to correct things so the bus could be used in europe which was always the plan, final straw front wheel planned its own escape when driving along the M5 in true keystone cops movie style - wife says its got to go. Me, I oblige and sell it on ... sad but realistic :(

Second bus, strike lucky and spot a 1971 for sale on camper crazy website for £4k more than I sold the last bus for, but it looked really good so 50% increase in purchase cost had to be worth a risk. Turned out to be 99% stock and purchased very quickly ... I was learning, wife liked the colour, I caught the train down to Lewes and drove the bus back with the biggest smile on my face ever, wonderful uneventful first journey back up to the Cotswolds - naive still? yes, but I 'd learnt a little bit more so was more confident. Bus checked out, everyone amazed at the originality. Start planning trip to France. We go, engine packs up, we come home, bus comes home later, have a new engine fitted ... we smile again :)

Use bus in UK, win best camper award at Camperjam without even trying, magazine article - more smiles, confidence in bus grows .... plan another trip to France. Great trip, biblical rain, sunshine, great wine, sunshine - bus breaks down, spent 2 nights on garage forecourt next to skips waiting for it to be fixed ... doesn't work out, we come home, bus comes home later, whilst in yard in Dover some continental recovery driver backs into the rear corner .... now less than 99% original, but great repair job done for £3.5k (someone else pays the bill)
Shine falls away from bus, kids admit being afraid to use it as its stock and don't want to damage it, wife hints at selling it .... me, I reluctantly agree, and my pride and joy goes to another family who had their own bad luck story and I'm happy its gone to a good home. Another magazine article .... more people like it

Sold it for more than I paid for it, thanks to the market being in my favour .... decide to look for a RHD shell to get built from scratch .... find one 1972 so still historic status, someone else gets there first and buys it, doesn't start on it for a while, offer made to buy it from him and I now have an empty shell to project manager its re-birth. Decide to put aside75% of what I sold the last bus for to build the new. Wife OK as long as it will be blue and white

Lucky me it was originally Orient Blue and White so wife will be happy. Spent 9/10 months getting it ready with lots of help from some dam fine folk, virtually no expense spared as I decided I wanted a bus I had total confidence in for me and the family to use. Budget blown out of the window - way out, but really pleased with end result, the workmanship the whole lot, virtually anything that could have been changed underneath was replaced with new parts - it drives just like a new bus of the early 70's - result

First real trip - Ebi4, success we go to Belgium, we all come back from Belgium on the same eurotrain - major tick in the box. Covered some 2000 miles since it came out of the workshop, still a few project bits to finish but they can wait whilst we make good use of it during the summer - build it, use it was always the plan.

Today son in law Dan(co driver to EBi4) drives it down to Dorset for a week of family camping/birthday celebration/ holiday with his wife their 3 kids - again just what it was designed to be used for, I check they get off ok, positive txt message back.

Then my phone rings a few hours later, apparently pulling away from a roundabout about 2 miles from campsite they hear a big bang - instant thought someone has gone into the back of them and hit the unfinished westy trailer - luckily not the case, but bus just won't move. They get the company of a couple of police cars for an hour until a recovery truck eventually arrives an hour and a half later - it was in a bit of a tricky place to park up!

Where are they tonight? Parked up next to skips and so forth on the premises of a terrific VW company in Wareham who allow them to stay until they are able to look at it in the morning, even allow them the keys to one of their hire buses for extra beds as they can't all sleep in my bus. Great people in the Bus scene still.

But I can't help but feel, no matter how much money you throw at something to try to get it as close to perfect or worry free as you can, so thing always seems to go wrong ... sods law or what. Hope fully tomorrow morning will find a quick and easy solution, maybe one of the brand new drive shafts failed, may be a bolt just came loose after 2000 odd miles

But tonight I still feel sick, I know everyone is safe and that's a big plus, but the kids family holiday down at Eweleaze Farm has not gone to plan, more money is probably going to be spent to get the bus going again, but on the plus side my faith in VW people continues both in the commercial world with Kamper Kombi and a lovely couple that stopped and offered to help Dan by the roadside and even offered to take the family down to the campsite

I just hope my faith returns quickly to the new bus, up to now I never worried as everything was working just as it should there seemed so little that could go wrong, but now there is going to be that little doubt in the back of my mind each time I get in it, I'll hear every last knock and creak.

It's not a sad tale, it's not a rant just realism kicking in that no matter how much joy these great old buses give us, no matter how many NOS parts you build in, or modern parts you replace their ability to kick us in places where it hurts is never likely to be far away, just hoping the joy outweighs the pain in the months ahead as I don't know if I want to keep going through this .... :(

I understand what your saying but unfortunately things like this come with the territory.

The way i see it a modern car will cost you £1-200 to tax, £300 to insure, and £40 to MOT each year.

My bus costs £0 to tax, £120 to insure, so if it costs no more than £400 (hopefully never anywhere near that much) to get through an MOT each year its still the better option.

Things are gunna break and bumps are gunna happen, you cant ever gaurantee against it not happening, but im sure the positives will outweigh the negatives over time

Sorry to hear more bad news David, I went through this with a '59 split back in the late 80's.
One of the reasons why I drive a bus that I'm not attached too closely either emotionally or financially.....

i feel sorry for you mate, but try not to let it get you down, i think you've just had a terrible run of bad luck. im sure things will soon start going right for you and your faith in you bus will return after you've got a good few good trips under your belt. i kind of know how you feel though, although my bad luck wasnt as bad as yours with my camper every time i went out in it it kept cutting out and refused to start and i ended up with a flat battery and stuck in the middle of now where and miles away from any phone boxes. this must of happened about 15-20 times and it really knocked my faith in my van, in fact i really started to hate it at one point. but its sorted now and we've had many a uneventfull trip and i love it again. keep the faith my friend, all the best. chicargo

On my recent trip to Dorset i also had to visit the friendly Garage at Wareham - very friendly people and helpful - spent ages talking to them about various bits and peices, but i digress.
I rebuilt my 1st bus to a good spec (not concours but did what we wanted) until our 2nd child was born decided to sell it and get a family friendly westy. Sold the bus (that very rarely let us down) and bought the westy, nothing but issues and getting to the point where at the moment i have lost faith not only in the bus but also losing faith in scene (although shift work has something to do with this).
Since returning from Dubz at the castle and our holiday afterwards (a broken bus dampens the spirits when your stuck at your campsite with no real means of transport) i have rebuilt the carb (the engine issues) but haven't even taken the bus out and that was over 3 weeks ago

i remember a phone call......that said welcome to the aircooled vw ownership club....reminds me of my europe trip in a twin slider...fortunately for me the breakdowms were my travelling partners...as in life david these things are sent to test us

David

Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope its not too serious and an easy fix, keep smiling.

5 buses in 18 years in rising market, broke down twice - elec fuel pump needed a rap and clutch cable broke in mates drive. It's been good for me (well, after the first "rose-tinted glasses" mistake). It's best to be your own mechanic with a old vehicle - a stitch in time has saved me £K's.

David,
Keep the faith. These buses are wonderful icons, but not trouble free. You have had some bad luck, lots of bus owners encounter problems but not all discuss them. Nothing in life is pain free, once you accept this reality, all the boundaries you are encountering will melt away like summer snow. When you encounter a problem, take it in your stride, expect it, deal with it, but don't agonise over it. Don't expect things to be perfect (unless your my mises).

Good luck and don't you dare sell that wonderful bus!

LV
"life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat - you keep getting pissed off"

So sorry to hear this David, you have had much more than your fair share of grief. Here's hoping for a speedy, easy and inexpensive solution this time.
Happily I have had better luck and not wishing that to change at all, hope some of the good fortune I have enjoyed heads in your direction. Chin up mate, it has to get better! ;)

Sounds like reverse/2nd selected on gearbox, £50 quid for a box from friendly face on EB. Pull your engine, out chuck in the new box and enjoy the feeling of satisfaction .. you will get the same feeling every time you change gear, make that hill and make your destination. Feel for you dude but also envious of your award winning/featured bus antics !

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.497589,19.047338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All well that ends well ... Klassic Kombi have come to the rescue again and the kids have just got back on the road to the campsite. Did turn out to be a result of loose bolts, which was a surprise as these were checked a couple of weeks ago as I thought they would need checking a few miles after the rebuild .... but you can never check often enough I guess

I can cope with breaking down, it goes with the ownership I guess even though you try to limit the possibilities, just wish it hadn't happened to the kids on holiday, but they can safely set off for a wet field in Dorset now!

Thanks everyone for the comments :)

Glad all is okay dooder and the kids can enjoy their holiday. After a good 15yeras plus of bus ownership i have seen my fair share of breakdowns etc, but the good times outway the bad by miles. :mrgreen: Keep the chin up and make sure you carry a nice tool box with the essentials and get good AA cover ;)

The friendliness around the wareham area does not supprise me.
We broke down a few yrs ago outside the big police place right on the roundabout just outside Wool.
A man stopped asked if we were all ok towed up to a place of safety so I could have a look, cv bolts came loose, 2 had fallen out. His mate was into vws so he rang him didn't have any but he popped back to his garage and made up some temp bolts, brought them back, I had no locktite so off he goes again.
Him and his mate came back to see if all was ok even gave me his mobile no just in case I had any more problems.
The awful thing was he wouldn't take any money to buy himself and his mate a drink.
All this took place in the pouring rain.

Back at the campsite we mentioned it to the owner who said that he was now supprised, he's only been there a few yrs and the offers of help he's had to help sort out the farm.
Wareham area is a good pace to breakdown.
Might go down there. For the weekend in the pick up this weekend. Let's hope I don't need those friendly peoples help

easy said:
Glad all is okay dooder and the kids can enjoy their holiday. After a good 15yeras plus of bus ownership i have seen my fair share of breakdowns etc, but the good times outway the bad by miles. :mrgreen: Keep the chin up and make sure you carry a nice tool box with the essentials and get good AA cover ;)

Agree with you
There is always a good box of spares in the bus, usual fan belts, fuses, bulbs etc even a coil (just in case) and because this is now on an electric fuel pump there is a spare one of those as well. Thinking is even if I can't fix it, maybe the RAC man can

I believe it is all part of the process. Soon the break downs will be a distant memory and what stands out will be all those great camping trips and miles behind you.

cotswoldiver said:
easy said:

Agree with you
There is always a good box of spares in the bus, usual fan belts, fuses, bulbs etc even a coil (just in case) and because this is now on an electric fuel pump there is a spare one of those as well. Thinking is even if I can't fix it, maybe the RAC man can

That's the way , build your spares up over the winter , I went around Europe this year all bar a engine everything else I had , clutch dynamo bearing coil carb rebuild kit the lot good job too as my bearings gave up in belgium , so crawled to services and fitted them there , 3 hours later were on our way again i get all the small bits under the front seats in them holes , the way I look at it is you can have the breakdown cover but the likelihood of the recovery guy having the bits is nil , I also get a few numbers from each country we go to of Vw
speacilst and take the usual uk suppliers numbers too , and a manual of course .

Anyhow chin up , if you ask anyone have they been in a Vw camper the answer usually is yes had a great holiday ..... Broke down though :lol: it's all part of owning a Vw

Good luck

Chris

I carn't even begin to lsit or remember all the problems and set backs i've had you just have to let it wash over and keep going.When you go for a drive and alls well its great.

cool glad its a rolling for ya we had the same for what seemed forever , now we got 99% gremlins out and lovin it again.

john the horse

Latest posts