Any rolling road and tuning recommendations in the south-eas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosie

Reaction score
Hi all,

We've just had our microbus serviced and Mot'ed but she is running a bit rich. It was recommended that we should take her on a rolling road to get her running more efficiently. Can anyone recommend a good garage in the south east?

We have been recommended Sanspeed in Bexleyheath, but has anyone on here had any experience with them?

Engine is a 2litre Powerhaus with twin Webers.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

bcdc883e-9c88-a437.jpg

Hi, if you go to Sanspeed make sure that Peter works on your bus , he has tuned almost all of my cars over the last 20 years. He really knows his stuff.
Now I have moved to the Kent coast , I been told that B and D engineering are the best. Our bus is booked in for a set up tune on the rolling road in two weeks time. I will let you know how we get on.

Thanks for the tip Toffo! We are in no real hurry so be interested to hear how you get on. :)

Where you Rosie ..?? Bp engineering has been rolling road tuning for as long as I can remember in ME10 area

toffo24 said:
Hi, if you go to Sanspeed make sure that Peter works on your bus , he has tuned almost all of my cars over the last 20 years. He really knows his stuff.
Now I have moved to the Kent coast , I been told that B and D engineering are the best. Our bus is booked in for a set up tune on the rolling road in two weeks time. I will let you know how we get on.

Hi toffo, how did you get on with the rolling road at B&D Engineering?

Pretty much every car i have sent down to sanspeed has come back running worse, There is one bloke there, (i think he's already been mentioned) who knows his stuff

Andy at BD is a top bloke. He's looked after all my buses and really knows his stuff.
Cheap at £100 for rolling road session.

http://www.bdengineering.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep very well thanks, Andy has carried out a set up tune for me on the rolling road. Our bus starts up on the button now.

Highly recommended.

Cool, thanks everyone for the info. Will get her booked in at BD engineering then! : )

Off to BD Engineering this morning to get Rosie on the rolling road. Quite excited about it, think we might be getting bitten by this bus bug : )

Hi Toffo, well not too bad, Andy seems a good chap. Got a bit of improvement on rolling road. 85bhp, but she is still running really rich at idle, so he is suggesting reducing the size of the jets and he thinks they've been bored out at some point. She is very very thirsty!

Needs smaller chokes in the carbs, looks like 30's that have been drilled out. Carbs are 44idf twin webers.

He also suggested changing the throttle linkage kit, to the centrepost version that goes under rather than overhead, as the throttle is not going fully open with foot to the floor.

So it looks like we have some research to do to find a new throttle linkage kit, but being new at this we really haven't got much of an idea of what's what! Any pointers in this direction, much appreciated!

Andy said he can do the work to get her right and hopefully save us a bit on fuel.

Ok the carbs arnt to bad, as re- jetting is not that expensive. You want a CSP belirank linkage. There about £85.00,not hard to fit. If you need help pm me as I am also in Kent.

Thanks for the advice Toffo! : )

Think we'll get Andy to sort the carbs and jets for now, and we'll sort the throttle linkage at a later date. We want to go to some shows and have a look at different set-ups!

These shows seem to be the nearest to us so we'll pootle along to those i think. Hopefully meet some fellow Early bay peeps and say hello : )

Busstop http://www.vwbusstop.co.uk/event-details.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Summer Dubbin' http://www.thesvwoc.org.uk/main_pages/svwoc_summer_festival.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We found out from the previous owner that the jets and carbs had been set up that way originally so the van would be able to pull an airstream caravan without struggling. So that's solved that mystery!

It's Battlebridge show next weekend, and you also have Grill and Chill and Kent VW festival which are very close to you. There will be links in the events section.

Just jumping onto this thread.

At long last I have the bus booked into BD for July 27th. Hoping for great things as the new engine has never really run very well.

I'll give the obligatory update when its done.

Went to BD yesterday and left a little disappointed. (Andy was excellent and I do recommend BD!!)

When I arrived I had 64 BHP and a horrible flatspot. I left with 65.5 BHP and a terrible flatspot. It seems the setup wasn't far off at the start. Andy's not sure if the problem is with the flatspot, could be the distributor, could be the (new) carbs (non branded solex).

It's probably easier (cheaper?) to change the distributor as that is the only thing that's not new. What's recommended. Currently have a 009.

The engine builder said I should get about 75BHP so I feel a bit short changed.

Latest posts