anyone done their recovered their Front cab seats?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
Hi

I'm doing my 68 covers at the minute - and wanted to pick the brains of someone who has done this already?

1. The seat frames are rivetted together - I think to get the covers on the frames have to be seperated. Did you use bolts?[easy] or rivets [hard to source?] to reunite the frames once covered?

2. I have some springs broken - a google search brings up loads of places that do double cone but the base has single cone - is it a case of buying say an 8-9" double and cutting it in half? or is there a supplier for VW single cone springs?

2.a on the springs any one know the gauge off the top of their head?

3. did you insert any additional wadding - I know I'll need hessian sewn or hog ring'd to the frame then the coconut pads, then the tmi covers...anything else I'll need?

and lastly any tips or gotcha's that you'd be kind enough to pass on?

cheers

[I did search but couldn't find a thread that seemed to apply]

dubdubz said:
Hi

I'm doing my 68 covers at the minute - and wanted to pick the brains of someone who has done this already?

1. The seat frames are riveted together - I think to get the covers on the frames have to be separated. Did you use bolts?[easy] or rivets [hard to source?] to reunite the frames once covered? You dont have to separate the back and base

2. I have some springs broken - a google search brings up loads of places that do double cone but the base has single cone - is it a case of buying say an 8-9" double and cutting it in half? or is there a supplier for VW single cone springs?
I just welded the springs back together but others have slid tubes over the broken springs and crimped the tube or used electrical connectors (Brass tube with 2 screws)

2.a on the springs any one know the gauge off the top of their head?
Theres a post on here about repairing springs and I think it had this dim on it.

3. did you insert any additional wadding - I know I'll need hessian sewn or hog ring'd to the frame then the coconut pads, then the time covers...anything else I'll need?
I bought some wadding from Dunelm and cut this to the shape of the OG and spray glued it on to the old.
and lastly any tips or gotchas that you'd be kind enough to pass on? Paint the seat frame,I forgot :(

I dont think or can't quite remember there being any hog rings fitted to the seats.
There's spikes welded to the tubular seat frame,these puncture the cover and are bent over the edge seam of the cover.The edge seam has a wire fitted inside that you pull tight first (Like an ironing board cover)
:oops: Someone told me that down the pub :mrgreen: :lol:

cheers

[I did search but couldn't find a thread that seemed to apply]

fantastic thank you - I do vaguely remember the thread about electrical connecters - I'll cut some choc block ones up and see if they do it.
I did manage to get soem upholstery springs but they'll be a lot of effort to put in, as I'll have to remove clips and joining connections

I bought some wadding today from stanford hall, the grey with multi strands in it I have glue, it's just the wire I'm missing now...think it's bailing wire?

paint good call

ground hugger said:
Theres a post on here about repairing springs and I think it had this dim on it.

I've searched and searched - and can't find the thread?? :oops:

I think that a 5" 9 gauge upholstery spring will be adaptable...just wanted to check on the other thread 1st

I changed my broken spring with a good used one from an other seat.. that is an option..

010520102428.jpg

dubdubz said:
ground hugger said:

I've searched and searched - and can't find the thread?? :oops:

I think that a 5" 9 gauge upholstery spring will be adaptable...just wanted to check on the other thread 1st

Its here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21001&hilit=springs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry... Noddy was just saying these may be of use and not the gauge/ size ,my mistake :oops:

ground hugger said:
Its here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21001&hilit=springs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry... Noddy was just saying these may be of use and not the gauge/ size ,my mistake :oops:

ahh I had seen that and the link is to the snake springs

spring_MED.jpg

what I'm going to use is these in a 9 gauge [think std are 10 possibly 11] in a 5" and cut the bottom hoop off - I'll take pics when I do it and post up here

Double_Cone_Spring_367x336.jpg

I am going to seperate the seats - it is probably possible together BUT it will be 500% easier I think apart

Latest posts