Anyone going to Dub vacation?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like great fun, but it's the first I've seen of it. The Poker run sounds ace fun 8)

Marvel said:
That looks like great fun, but it's the first I've seen of it. The Poker run sounds ace fun 8)

Yeah it all sounds great....can't wait for the hovercraft driving :D .........I only heard about it as a friend of mine was helping to organise it and text me about it months ago. It's not on any show listings though and I haven't seen any threads about it!

i wont be going, was gonna trade but no ones got back to me with answers to questions, also there have been a couple of shows there this year orgainised by same person which have not been any good.

I'm off with the family. Looks like good fun and if it all goes south, there's always Great Yarmouth. What's the worst that can happen? Oh... 80% chance of precipitation...

Yeah someone else is going :mrgreen:
There are chalets on site.....might rent one of those if it gets too soggy :lol:

I'm going with the wife and daughter (3) thought it was a good idea at the time, hopefully all will come good, like anything, it's what you make of it. Come say hi, I'm in a white Devon crossover, also with small freedom caravan (second outing, first time towing with the bus....)

I will proably go as its local ! , ill pay on the day i think 8)

Ok so the answer is not many.....there are about 50 of us!! .....at least there shouldn't be a queue for the showers!!

Are you here then?! Say hi.....I've got the
'70 Neptune blue tin top in the corner. Although not in the minute as i'm ready for bed in my leopard print fleece onsie! Prepared for the weather!

So what was the final verdict , I went up today at midday , thinking there would be a show n shine , but on arrival got told that pretty much everyone had gone home !!

Any pictures or feedback would be good ;)

Hiya Grazy
The verdict is........ it could have been amazing! I had a brilliant week in Suffolk but it wasn't what the website promised. There was a show field which had about 10 vehicles in it yesterdy but they moved out last night. There were 5 traders yesterday, 2 of which were only emiled on friday and asked to come and as they had been to whitenoise they thought they'd do this one. They didn't make much! Lots of the activities that were supposed to be on didn't happen or were limited so that was a shame. Having said all that because it was a very small group you got to know people really well....very friendly little show but very quiet at times. I hope he does it next year....needs a little more orgnisation, more activities for little kids, more soap and toilet paper and MUCH more advertising but I've come back with nothing but good memories :)

forgot to say.......I didn't take one photo but they did say they were setting up a facebook page.

I'd go with Pinky. We had a great time camping in Suffolk. Met some lovely people and was amazed by how friendly almost everyone attending was. The kids ran free for the week, which was great, made good friends and there was still plenty for them to do.

I think the concept is brilliant and I for one will be going next year if it happens. I think it was let down a little by under-promotion and therefore, low attendance - something like 40% of the hoped/expected crowd. However, from my personal point of view, all the better for it! Quieter, more space, less stress...

The venue is OK but if the full turn-out arrived, would be woefully under-resourced unless lots of portable showers and toilets were drafted in - perhaps they were planned and deemed unnecessary.

The caravan graveyard as you entered was also interesting...

OK, some of the promised activities weren't there - hovercrafts for example - but the organizers still laid on pretty much everything and free fun fair for a couple of hours, free quads, climbing wall and so on. They could have cut and run but stuck with it and made it a pretty good week for those that showed.

The weekend show was, sadly, a flop. Wasn't helped by the low turn-out and other shows around the UK and the Spa weekend, I guess.

On balance, a good week of camping with the family with added attractions, met some lovely people, great potential and definitely go back next year. Mr Allard's Farm Shop was a definite winner...

We too had a wonderful week and yes its a shame more wernt there but all the better for those who were. Everyone was really friendly and loads of new friends were made and all agreed to meet up again next year, unfortunately the hovercraft guys company closed due to the current climate and a few other activities didnt happen but several other impromptue events did, see the following sand sculpture for one.

DSC_0923_279kermit.jpg

and with the logo

DSC_0926_278kermit.jpg

shame only a few vehicles went into the show ring on saturday but Bret was let down again by a couple of local VW clubs who said they would attend so I put Kermit and trailer in there and managed to round up a few others but most didn't want to put their vehicles in as all set up for camping.
We will definately be going again next year.

Well done and thank-you Bret for all your hard work, fingers crossed for next year.

I took a few pics from our field:

B6F0C7BD-4AD8-46DC-B2FD-DD8108AB5840-2131-000002DB02C01EBA.jpg

32A13F79-CA03-4705-8C14-C854D9B30DB0-2131-000002DAF5D82B83.jpg

34B86260-6E4E-48F1-A0D0-FA646D0B7677-2131-000002DAECCE361B.jpg

81AF34C9-0EC7-4FBC-892A-BD41C1FAA88C-2131-000002DAE01A01CD.jpg

2B2B351D-5AF3-4526-BCDE-2690FF8DD16D-2131-000002DAD2A2A63C.jpg

I can only agree with what others have already posted about this event. It was well run, loads to do, esp for kids, everyone friendly. Brett did put on all that he could even thought it may have meant a loss for him. I did speak to him about the showers, there would have been more if there has been more people. The Stonham Barns site has been neglected I understand, the new owner is investing and there is evidence of this, so the site in my opinion will be better next year. And I for one will be there again.

Unfortunately our new friends with the red and white camper in one of the above photo's had a rear wheel fall off on the way home so ended up travelling back on a low loader, good job Chris had his discovery with him as me thinks 2 adults, 4 kids and a dog might have been a bit to cosy.

I think that with the enthusiasm and support of everyone who came, we established that a week VW long event, for the whole family, is a viable alternative to the generic show... (which is not meant as a criticism of the generic shows)

It was a fantastic start, but only a start. Yes, there were a few problems... the cancelled hovercraft for example. But I did not just go "Oh, the hovercraft's cancelled on us... shame". I arranged the free climbing wall, Go-Quads and Fairground Session, very last minute, because of the hovercraftlessness ;)

But what did we do with our week? We did Archery, we did Laser Clay Pigeon Shooting, Rock Climbing, Fairground Riding, go-quadding, seaside cruises, African drum workshops, Ukulele workshops, meditation workshops, Shamballa Jewellery making, card crafting, off road course rides, hula hoop making, poi, Zumba, street dance, fitness, photography workshops, treasure hunts, 5 discos! (Sorry, but now you know to expect an overload of Ska ;) ) All free within the about £50 a head price. Many also checked out the Owl and Bird of Prey Centre, the meerkats, crazy golf, lakes and shops, and enjoyed Mal Fry's musicianship, some fished (very successfully), some banged some golf balls around (a good walk, spoiled), played volleyball, or football, or played on the 'beach'.

Everyone who went this year bought in to the vision of something different... for all the family, and just about everyone tells me they will be back for Dub Vacation 2.

Dub Vacation 2 will be a maximum of 200 pitches, and the week will never exceed 250 pitches. I knew in advance the numbers for 2012, and planned appropriately. The same will be true of 2013. If the planned number are sold out I will NOT be continuing to take bookings. It will always be a 'small' event, a family event, and already the VW based workshops etc are being confirmed as cast iron before website for 2013 goes live, and there's other new stuff planned. Including more for kids, (although they kept pretty busy!!)

I'm looking forward to it already.

Latest posts