Anyone good at getting a patina /rat look in bristol?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I'm after trying to get a patina look to my 69 panel ,and know it's quite an art to get it looking pretty good .anyone in Bristol that can do or advise on the job in hand ?

Patina can't be faked, the immitation stuff never looks as good.

I agree dude but I can't afford a 3k paint job at the mo nor do I want a pristeen paint job so thought I'd go for a aged look . I've seen a few done and there's an art go it even if it's not the real deal it's what I'm after .

throw a load of brake fluid over it and park it under a tree for year?

If your ever in Plymouth I've 4 rusty hub caps you can have gratis: naturally rusted with a feint gleam of knackered chrome :)

Thanks for all your useless comments with the exception of Karlos, nothing more than I expected I guess . I'll try another site :roll:

fozworth said:
Thanks for all your useless comments with the exception of Karlos, nothing more than I expected I guess . I'll try another site :roll:

Was only joking dude, pls don't take offence, the mood often needs lightening on here, gets a bit old and serious I feel, I might join you on another site!

hey buddy work out the primer colours (mine has a grey under a white then the top coat) then after painting and leaving it for a few days use a fine scotchbrite pad with tcut or a G3 rubbing compound on the paint and you should be able to rub back and it not be too obvious.

The dulling stuff is more difficult as it needs a matting agent in the paint. I did read a good article on adding talcum powder to paint too for an aged finish ?!?

if you do a google search there is loads on the t'interweb but nearly all those crazy yanks but its interesting !!!!

Good luck

Also try rustypaint.com. As it suggests, rusty paint. They can also mix to a colour that will rust, so your bus colour. Can be sprayed or rollered. Also protects surface it goes on to.

Get yourself a hard, knackered paint brush some grey primer and some dark brown paint. Spray some grey primer into the aerosol cap and dab on the bodywork with your knackered brush. Build up your grey then dab brown over the top in a kind of stipple fashion. once this as gone off you can sand it back with some 1500 wet and dry to blend it in. Works a treat :D

fozworth said:
I'm after trying to get a patina look to my 69 panel ,and know it's quite an art to get it looking pretty good .anyone in Bristol that can do or advise on the job in hand ?

if plymouth is anything like brixham, park near a chip shop and the seagulls will do the rest! seriously, when polishes and shine are removed from the paint it will not take long to get that look. if you are in a hurry just remove all traces of polish/wax then use 3m compound (the one with the white top) by hand or slowly on a sponge mop to matt the paint, this is normally used after spraying to level/remove orange peel effect before proper polishing and will polish the surface if used or maybe 1200 paper either of which would leave a slight shine but not scratched then leave the sea air to do the rest. i prefer polished and shiny myself.

whatever you do good luck with it

just a thought but if you were looking to respray and get that patina effect; i do a bit of spraying and if you go to the paint suppliers (waregrain or similar), they can add matting agent to the colour you choose and can make up in anywhere from gloss to complete matt. They can do the same with lacquer so when you get the look you want you could protect it with matt lacquer. what about very fine low pressure sandblasting? this would damage the paint surface and not leave swirls or scratches. in fact would leave nice pitting which would fade easily.

If you're on Facebook have a look for Victory Paintworks.
Lee and Mike are top drawer at their stuff.
Go and have a chat with them, tell them Scoops sent you. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Victory-Paintworks/139058489611612?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not one hundred per cent sure, but I`m guessing they`re between us Brizzal Boyz and Weston Super Somewhere, and also not sure why I think that.. :shock: :? :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Usually not sure :lol:

Yeh cheers dude I've had a look and there not far from me .
Here's what I've got currently so you can see where I need some paint etc .I want to keep the sign writing really .

Mate don't rat that baby it's beaut !!!!!

Just take some time and get some fade spray and a good colour match,take you're time and use a 1000 grit wet and dry with tak cloth before the final coat it will be good as new after 4 weeks and a good polish !!!

Cheers dude.Yeh it's the body work that I want to farm out .theres no rot at all just needs a bit of fine filling on the sides and a bit of attention to the rear corner as it had corner damage but was repaired yet it has left things needing tweaking .To be honest I'd be happy to pay for the corner work and do the rest myself but want someone who is well familiar with theses busses .

If you put a fake rat look on that bus I will hunt you down and punch you in the ovaries. It's sweet as is.

Latest posts