Anyone had any problems with louvre windows leaking?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Reaction score
I keep finding a small patch of water below my louvre window. It's a westafalia one and I thought originally it was water condensing against the foil insulation I fitted, but after yesterday's rain while I was fitting new carpet in the van I noticed it driping in. It appears to be coming in along the bottom of the window where the self tappers pass through the window frame into the window.

I tried removing the screws and adding a blob of sikaflex into the screw holes. This didn't stop it as I think the screw wasn't getting a decent seal/grip with the headlining in place, so I tried removing the headlining between the window and the frame and then adding a blob of sikaflex back into each hole. After that it didn't rain, so I couldn't check it again. I guess when I work on it again this week I will see if it has worked or not...

So has anyone had problems with them leaking? I'd have thought the outer seal would prevent water getting behind it? The seal was bought from either C&C or VW Heritage (I can't remember which). Does it need any sealant adding?

If it's leaked again, then I think I may have to fit a solid window, but want to try this louvre one for better airflow in the van.

Any ideas welcome.

Cheers,
Termite

Well it didn't work as there still seems to be water getting between the window and the body. I could put a thin bead of silcon along the join on the inside to stop the water getting inside, but don't think that is goign to stop the issue with water getting behind the seal.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If you are sure it is getting between the seal and the body then get some windscreen mastik and run that under the seal, It doesn't permanently set and should take care of it. I used some on my new screen on my fastback some years ago with a none to good leaking brand new seal and it sorted it instantly.

Do you need to take the window out to do it? I am guessing I will have to.

No, just poke the nozzle under the seal edge and run it right around.

Latest posts