anyone towing a Eriba puck?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
Hi all...

considering buying an Eriba Puck to tow behind the bus, more than likely to go the David Eccles route and buy a fairly new one. (depending how my reclaiming of bank charges go with the bank but that's a story for another day... :wink: :wink:)..

Will probably go for a 'Puck' (max laden weight 700kg), however have also been looking at the 'Puck L', (max laden weight 850kg). The Puck L is 15" longer than the Puck but has a bigger bed and a bit more room. (Although arguably not as cute as the Puck.....)

Currently running a 1600 but soon to have a 1776 :lol: I know that David pulls his Puck with a standard 1600 with no major problems, so I'm guessing it should probably be fine, but just wanted to see if anyone out there can confirm this.

So the question is this.....will the bus pull the extra weight of the Puck L? Anyone out there have one?

Obviously a tow bar will be required.....can't say I'm a huge fan of the look of them 'out back'.... :? :?

Anyone have a discreet looking tow bar fitted or even a removable one?

Any advice much appreciated peeps....... :lol: :lol:

Carole

PS: bus coming home on Tuesday........can't wait........so excited......xmas is coming early for me!!!! :D :D :D

There's some good towing info on http://www.type2.com + downloadable drawings for a towbar.

Which when finished should look like this.
vwbumper200603190001_JPG.jpg

Or there was a towbar available which bolts onto the chassis and is hidden by the bumper. You then bolt the towhitch thru the bumper and into the towbar. In theory I guess you could remove the towhitch when not in use leaving a clean "back end".

thanks for that snakey, that website is very useful, I've bookmarked it for future reference..... :lol: :lol:

nice and neat towbar you have there too, looks very period as well. are all your electrics underneath?

carole

heres the framed link i think it should take you straight to the images and pdf

http://www.type2.com/library/misc/hitch71bus.htm

Sorry..bit of confusion here. The bus pictured is off type2.com.
The design for the towbar fitted to that bus is detailed on the website.

Wish it was my bus tho....least it's on the road :(

All of the Pucks have a very low tongue weight. I have towed a Puck Famalia around years ago with my old 64 Panel with a 1500 in it and sometimes had to look back because it didn't even seem I was towing anything :lol: .

Thanks for the offer of the towbar J&M.....any piccies at all of how it looks on the van?

Dropgates, that is very useful info, thankyou!

I think my biggest issue will be the towbar itself... :? :?

carole

The towbar is now off my bus - the only pic I have is the one taken by the previous owner showing the whole of the back of the bus:
camper4.jpg

I can take a pic of it removed if that's useful for anyone - it's totally solid with just some minor pitting (it looks like it was Hammerited from new), it would deffo clean up nicely and would look great with a coat of smooth Hammerite or similar, the hook is chromed and is best described as 'used' but should do fine. The towbar doesn't have any electrics and the plug plate needs to be straightened.
I don't know if it will fit your bus, I'll leave you to check that!!!
Obviously, I'd like it to be collected if you're interested - but I'm happy to wrap it if you want to arrange a courier.
The price? A quality bottle of cider will do nicely!

If you need anything else give me a shout...

;)

Latest posts